Ron DeSantis: "We do not require assistance. The people of Florida will rebuild on our own"

by BettyHumpter 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Everything else is left to state and local governments. In this scenario New York and Mississippi can deal with their problems as they see fit."

Yeah, worked wonderfully between 1865 and 1964.

But seriously. Nothing about civil rights for example appears in that list. Was that the Federal Government overstepping the exact words in the constitution? Should we have just marched on for all eternity as if Article 1 section 8 were handed down by god himself?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Civil rights are covered in the 13th,14th and 15th amendments, passed in 1865 and 1870. It took the bloodiest war in the history of the United States to get them passed. A century later we're still struggling over it. I never said it was perfect I'm saying that's how it supposed to work. The people of Mississippi are welcome to be poor if they want. If they think they'll be happier if their state looks like California, they can do that.

Should we have just marched on for all eternity as if Article 1 section 8 were handed down by god himself?

I never said that, don't put words in my mouth. There is a process for amending the constitution. If don't like it, start working on changing it. All I was saying was we don't need to split the country, I believe we should let people live the way they want to, not the way somebody no where near where I live should be able to tell me how to live. (provided I'm living peaceably)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Such a split would be pretty messy. ... How you gonna split that up? - ok, don't bother then. I don't care.

There's much fun for me, sitting on the sidelines and laughing at the culture wars.

It's funny when people spaz out over Trump ('literally Hitler', lol).

It's absurd and amuzing when current students, who know practically nothing, loudly demand that normal people address them as 'xe' or whatever.

It's a laugh when fourth-wave feminists moan about 30% of STEM employees being women, but are totally silent over the fact that only 2% of bricklayers are women.

• hoser
    hoser

The rural/urban divide is evident in Canada as well. It is an interesting phenomenon. Rural vote conservative and urban vote liberal/NDP.

Geography dictates culture and politics. A Canadian from Saskatchewan has more in common with an American from Nebraska than a fellow Canadian from Toronto or Vancouver.

Conservatives do like their handouts though. Conservative businessmen like to point to welfare cheats that are on social assistance as being the problem but they are the first with their hand out when there is a disaster that affects their business.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"It's funny when people spaz out over Trump ('literally Hitler', lol)."

True. An alternate timeline where Oswald Mosley became PM would be a better comparison.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Interesting that I explain to you the reason your data is wrong and then you quote the exact same data as if it were gospel.

There are other data sources that chart federal tax breaks through the SALT deduction, federal ‘forgivable’ loans etc.

Also, you claim civil rights were a problem in the south, look up which party did that. The party of the KKK, the party that opposed civil rights bills in the senate that had been proposed since the 1940s, certainly not the party of Abraham Lincoln. The same party today that keeps the poor poor, through welfare and handouts, the party that proposes mass abortion for blacks and single parenthood, destroying black culture. The party that says you’re not black if you don’t vote for them, the party that says women and men are functionally the same thereby destroying LGB and women/men’s rights.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Also, you claim civil rights were a problem in the south, look up which party did that. The party of the KKK, the party that opposed civil rights bills in the senate that had been proposed since the 1940s, certainly not the party of Abraham Lincoln"

I'm aware of the unholy alliance within the democratic party and the 'solid south' post civil war. I'm also aware that after 1964 those same voters became overwhelmingly Republican. In every election since. And the Republicans were happy to court their votes.

Continuing to call yourself "the party of Lincoln'" is like a Cleveland Browns fan bragging on how great their team is because they won the 1964 NFL League championship. The current team is not the same players, management or even game really.

• Riley
    Riley

So every single republican member of the house of congress from Florida just Voted against additional FEMA funding for Florida ?

Hahahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit