A Religion of Faithful Parrots

by Hapthor1986 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hapthor1986
    Hapthor1986

It's funny as I reflect back on my days as a witness during the watchtower study. It seems like no matter what the question asked. It was like parrots squawking back exactly what they had just heard with absolutely no thought or even the slightest expression of free will. Follow Christ to life everlasting SQUAWK!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

One of the best lines in Ray's book, something along the lines of "I never saw much value in being a parrot"

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Interesting that they call it "questions and answers" and they are, only that both the questions and their answers come from the same source.

• Hapthor1986
    Hapthor1986

Either that or they would look up the scripture and read from that. Had a bunch sisters that just wanted to hear their own voice on the big speakers is what it felt like.

• steve2
    steve2

I've heard a few filthy-mouthed parrots in my life....

• John Free
    John Free

Mindless repetition that's designed to indoctrinate and kill self thought. This is how they turn normal people into drones.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It reminds me of a time (this was pre internet)of a number 2 talk where it was talking about the various gates around jerusalem which I was unable to find little information on. So with a bit of imprivisation I just made the talk up. Went off well but I made the mistake of telling the school conductor of what I done. Did I get a dressing down for it.

• Ding
    Ding

I remember thinking one time how cute it was at WT studies when children got so excited as they parroted back the answer and were told they were right.

One of my first clues that something was wrong came when I realized adults were just parroting the WT's answers to the WT's questions as well.

Some of them seemed happy when they were told they were right, while others just seemed to be trying to fill some sort of participation obligation.

I didn't understand at the time that it was indoctrination going on, but I do recall realizing how creepy the whole thing seemed.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

they need to be Jimmy buffet Parrot heads wasting away in margaritaville searching for their lost shaker of salt

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, great thread.

There is NO tolerance of any 'extra' information being presented during a WT study. If someone does research and tries to present it, that one is made to feel awkward.

The only acceptable answer is a repeated comment (in "your own words") of the same stuff that was just read out!

When we really think about it, it is a huge waste of time! It could be read at home!

BUT the beauty of it is the "group bias" that it creates, as witnesses see and hear a large number of people around them "agree" with the presented information...thus making it seem more valid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit