UN Library again... The "NGO Resource Center"

by AntiEntropy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AntiEntropy
    AntiEntropy

As we know, there were at least 2 ways to enter the UN NGO Bldg : 'ground pass' and 'library pass'

And the 'ground pass' matters was dealt by many posts in old times. FIY, http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/search/?q=UN+library+change

Basically, the policy of 'library pass' had not been chaged before 9.11 as we read.

However, some pro-JWs have been insisting that it was not the UN NGO Bldg. that Ciro and his friends wanted to enter but it was a different Bldg. to which "NGO Resource Center" had moved from UN NGO Bldg. They're saying it was 'gound pass' that WT desparately needed, so desparately with knowledge that their decision must let many lambs leave JW.ORG.

By Dana Loytved's old letters, we could learn that inferior to 'ground pass', 'library pass' couldn't let its holders access to "NGO Resource Center" if it were located in a different Bldg. I guess you understand their reasoning related with it.

I can't trace its origin but their quotation is like the below :

• Greetings from the Dag Hammarskjöld Library, The "special area" referred to in the brochure is probably the "NGO Resource Center". This Center used to be located in the Library Building (not the actual library itself), but has since been moved to a different building. (......) Accredited members of NGOs with valid UN grounds passes, however, are also allowed to visit the Dag Hammarskjöld Library and to use our resources on site. Best Regards,
    • -Ashley Rode-

I could make sure that "NGO Resource Center" moved once and it is not in the NGO Bldg. now but I can't find when it moved.

Questions :

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Among other reasons, the WTBTS needed to become an NGO with the UN in order to bring their message and get established abroad with a sort of 'protection'; the end definitely justified the means in this case.

It can be rationalized with the biblical passage which states that Christians can use 'the world' in order to advance the preaching of the word everywhere, or to use "unjust riches" for the work of the Lord, being "cunning as snakes but innocent like doves", or some such quotes found in the NT.

This goes on with many a Company/Corporation/Religious Org/etc. originating in the USA and wanting to gain acceptance abroad. Common practice, really.

Well now... I sure woke up with the JW personality prevalent today. Call it whatever, it's call "survival". Get over it already.

DY

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Possibly they could have sent someone to the Library of Congress instead, since it hold ALL published works.

By the way - what was SOOOO important they could only find it there?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Doubtfully Yours- "It can be rationalized with the biblical passage which states that Christians can use 'the world' in order to advance the preaching of the word everywhere, or to use 'unjust riches' for the work of the Lord, being 'cunning as snakes but innocent like doves', or some such quotes found in the NT."

I've often wondered why the Org didn't simply give this explanation when the Guardian article exposed the connection.

Immediately dumping their NGO status in response seemed like such a knee-jerk reaction that it ended up making them look like they were caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

• talesin
    talesin

DY - I'm over it; and yes, it took a while, but I feel for your situation. Thanks for your insight; i have wondered how they explained that to the flock. tal

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

As far as I'm aware, they never did explain it to the flock. The only way I'd have even known about back then is because I was in bethel at the time when they announced it during morning worship.

I bet 99.9% of JWs do not know about this.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Barrold Bondsan As far as I'm aware, they never did explain it to the flock. The only way I'd have even known about back then is because I was in bethel at the time when they announced it during morning worship.

What did they say?????

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It was never explained or apologized, just like all other inconsistencies. JWs accept blindly any decision from the GB, assuming that they'll be responsible to God for whatever.

DY

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

They just said they were no longer an NGO. They explained they had NGO status for access to the library (true?) but then the UN changed the wording of the charter in a way that conflicted with JW beliefs (not true, the charter they signed included that wording already), so they left.

I didn't think anything of it until I read some news articles shortly afterwards. It was the first of many light bulbs going off in my head.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

not true, the charter they signed included that wording already

Yes and true, the application that the WTS applied to stated that to become a NGO member as an organization, the identified organization had to agree and uphold the main UN Charter.

By the WTS joining they disingenuously broke its own doctrinal proclamation of not associating or partaking in worldly government affairs and since the WTS previously proclaimed the UN was the Great Harlot of Babylon the Great, this added to the WTS's self indulgent hypocrisy.

The WTS lied once again about what the original application stated within.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit