I had a melt down with my Father over my Mom and Sister not coming to my daughter's Birthday Party.

by adjusted knowledge 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Last year my daughter had her first birthday and all my wife's family and friends were there. My family didn't attend. My mother and sister still believe in the JW teachings even though they are both considered inactive. My father didn't go out of respect for my mother. He is not a witness but believes in some "God".

This year my Father attended but I told him I feel insulted my mother chooses not to attend and that this religion damaged my childhood. I can tell this hurt his feelings, but it was my father that brought our family into this religion when I was five years old. He left the religion when I was about 11 years old, but I was still force to adhere to the religion, which included the prohibition on "wordly" friends, no school activities and all the other normal things a child does. I resented him for forcing a religion on me he didn't accept. Though I escaped at about 19 it still robbed me of a normal childhood.

What makes me upset is my mother doesn't attend meetings, field service, or assemblies regularly. Yet she still chooses to believe despite the fact she is labeled weak and viewed by many JWs as deserving death at Armageddon. Maybe I should've let it go but I think it sucks my daughter will only see my wife's side of the family at holidays and other normal events. I think I will just wait until my daughter is older and have my mother and sister personally explain to my daughter. I know I should respect other people's beliefs but it's hard when you know The Watchtower is a cult.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"I know I should respect other people's beliefs..."

You don't have to respect beliefs. You can respect persons but ideas are abstractions.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    ^THIS.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    How in your opinion should of your father handled him leaving when your were 11. What should of he done differently in your opinion and would it have worked? Many kids follow their mothers no matter what the dad does.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

My kids didn't follow their mother. Thank God!

A lot of unbelieving husbands have to work their butts off to make sure their kids have as close to a regular childhood as possible all while arguing with their wife about religious doctrines.

Adjusted knowledge, I give you a lot of credit for looking out for your kids. I know the giantic effort it takes to not only have to do everything related to unapproved celebrations but also to deal with a spouse at the same time.

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle
    Hm, I can understand being upset, but since you also lived the life, there should be some understanding there too. I don't feel my chuldhood was wasted at all; I have very fond memories, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones since my parents weren't overly strict. My MIL who is I guess considered inactive or informally DA tells me of the struggle with guilt over holidays knowing what she knows from the JWs. Even though your mom and sister are considered inactive, they aren't out of that mind set, and hokidays/birthdays may be one of those lines they don't want to cross. There are other religions that don't celebrate these either, JW are not unique in that. You will just have to accept that. In my opinion, and maybe this is based off how I was raised, but holidays and birthdays aren't the be all, do all that make a childhood memorable - my in laws are a nightmare around the holidays!!
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    You don't realize it if you grow up without it, but denying birthdays is a way of denying the self. It denies the self as a legitimate, independent person. Not having birthdays borgifiizes one into the collective.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Good lord, borgifiizes??

Maybe "borgifies" was more in line with what I really meant.

Sorry!

• TheListener
    TheListener

It's not the gifts and attention that make holidays/birthdays special for long term childhood memories but I think it's the socializing with other kids both at the event and the before and after discussions. Not celebrating those milestones or holidays tends to separate witness kids from the majority of their classmates and that lack of social integration can have a negative affect later one.

I am sure not everyone is affected the same way or at all. All I knew with my kids was that life is tough enough without me adding additional stress into the mix.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman
    My family has all kinds of different beliefs and you know what? You have to respect them all out of kindness. Nobody was hurt in my family when we didn't attend birthdays or Christmas, but they sure did make us feel like dirt for it. Yet they wanted us to do all the things they thought were okay. It taught me to respect everyone's beliefs within reason and never make other people feel the way others had made me feel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit