Question about baptism around 1973- can anyone answer for me?

by Virgochik 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Hello, everyone. I am hoping someone will take a look at this and be able to help me with my question.

I was baptized in 1973, you know, because I was a teenager and old enough to stand on my own when Armageddon descended in 1975.

Perhaps elders, or any former elders especially, but anyone who was around then could help me with this question, because I honestly don't recall, and really need to know.

What were the baptismal questions the candidates responded to back then? Were we still asked if we repented of our sins, turned around, and were being baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

The reason I'm asking is, I'm attending a non-denominational church that I really enjoy, and I see them doing baptisms. I know not everyone here feels this way, but I personally want to be saved and accept Jesus as my savior. I wonder if my JW baptism is valid, or if I will want to have it redone at the church. It all depends I guess, on what I agreed to in 1973 and what the baptismal questions were. I know the current questions have been changed.

• freddo
    freddo
    Pre 85 it was the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit - don't know if it was different again in the early seventies.
  • AmIright
    AmIright

will you help us support satan!

you are willing too forced your religion on others who don't want to do it.

you are going to persistently annoy neighbours then demonise them for not joing your religion?

• stillin
    stillin
    I don't think that there was the part where you identify as a JW being led around by God's "spirit led Organization." I hope somebody has the full answer for you. I was baptized at about that time also.
  • RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

I was baptized in '73 myself!

Baptismal questions from the May 1, 1973 Watchtower, p. 280:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

• bennyk
    bennyk

The questions were changed in 1985:

"The first question is: On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will? The second is: Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?" 

(Watchtower, 01. June 1985, p. 30) 

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

perhaps this site can help..

http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_changes/baptized.htm

*** w1973 5/1 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling ***
    we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of
    candidates for baptism:
    (1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his SonJesus Christ?
    (2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?
    If you find that you can answer “YES” to these questions, then it would be appropriate for you to speak to the presiding overseer in the congregation of Jehovah’s witnesses with which you associate, with a view to getting baptized.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik
    You guys are awesome! Thanks to all of you for the information. It's exactly what I needed. It sounds to me as if my baptism was a legitimate one, standard questions any church would ask, and without that reference to the Watchtower Society that makes me cringe.
  • AmIright
    AmIright
    so your saying you want to be a brainwashed jw?
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    I too was baptized around then. I remember going through the Lamp book at that time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit