Did the serpent have legs before the curse?

by Acluetofindtheuser 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Genesis 3:14 – “Then Jehovah God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild animals of the field. On your belly you will go, and you will eat dust all the days of your life.”

The old GB and GB 2.0 differ on this matter.

Questions from Readers – Watchtower June 1, 1964

“This is the only place in the Bible where any indication is given that the serpent did not at one time travel on its belly. What is said here is, of course, directed principally to the invisible spirit creature who used the literal serpent as his mouthpiece. It foretells his debasement. But for the symbolic application of this judgment upon the wicked spirit creature who became Satan to have any force there must be a fulfillment of it in the literal serpent, which has come to symbolize Satan. It, therefore, is reasonable to conclude that before God cursed it the serpent possessed legs that elevated it above the ground. As he had the power to create the serpent in the first place, God had the power to transform its body so that it ceased to have legs and was able to move about on its belly.”

Questions from Readers – Watchtower June 15, 2007

“The Bible does not specifically state that the animal used in tempting Eve had previously had legs but lost them. While the wording of Genesis 3:14 might lead some to think so, we need not necessarily conclude that prior to this curse, serpents had legs. Why not?

Principally because the real object of Jehovah’s judgment was Satan-the invisible spirit who had misused that lowly animal. The Bible describes Satan as “the father of the lie” and “the original serpent.” Both of these expressions apparently point back to Satan’s using a visible animal, a serpent, as his mouthpiece to induce Eve to disobey God’s command. God created serpents, and Adam had apparently given serpents their name before Satan’s deceptive act. The unreasoning serpent that spoke to Eve was not to blame. It would have been unaware that Satan was manipulating it, and it could not understand the judgement that God rendered against the disobedient parties.”

The next few paragraphs go on to explain that being put on its belly and eating dust was all symbolic and only applied to Satan’s final outcome.

Why did they change their view?

Because it is a wild concept and it invites speculation. In all my years of being a JW I found most Elders and some publishers disapprove of any speculation beyond the current words of the GB’s in power. If you read C.T. Russell’s earlier work you'll notice that speculation was encouraged during his day. That speculation was so deep it got to the point where it was out of control. The Great Pyramid of Egypt eventually became part God’s plan per Russell. That idea was thrown to the curb so long ago.

The current trend of leadership in the Society is to be passive about some of the most interesting subjects in the Bible. All they care about now is to have control over the members. You have to go to prison, be shunned or even die by what they write in the literature. It’s so sad it has come to this. They have put themselves in the Judgment seat of Moses. I believe the nations are going to act soon on this organization.

For those that still believe in the literal second coming, speculation is a requirement to piece it all together. The current GB thinking on this matter is too symbolic and has no literal application. This is just like their change of heart between the Watchtower June 1, 1964 and Watchtower June 15, 2007.

I am of the opinion that the serpent once had legs before the curse because the Boa and the Python both have the potential to grow vestigial organs. These are tiny hind leg bones buried in muscles toward their tail ends. A serpent with legs is known to be the mythological dragon. Most ancient cultures believed in the existence of dragons. Every animal on the Chinese calendar is a real animal, except for the dragon. Why the exception?

I found this topic about serpent limbs mentioned 16 years ago.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/2837/did-snakes-have-legs-yes-no

Thanks for reading,

ACTFTU-Tron 2.0

• venus
    venus

Genesis and Revelation both are allegorical. Characters are representation of human behavior. For example, hare and tortoise competed. Story literally never happened, yet we come across hare-like people and tortoise-like people around us.

Similarly, snake represents sin which can communicate with us in any form wherever we are, and yielding to sin brings misery. Once we succumb to sin, then we engage in shifting the blame which shows deep within us we are pure, hence sinning is alien to our nature. Sin destroys the self-respect and makes us feel ashamed.

Thus if you look behind the details, account would make sense. Literally, it doesn't make sense.

• waton
    waton

"you must be pulling my leg" not Actftuser, useless.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Yes, it had a dick too.

• waton
    waton
    Yes, it had a dick too. sm1010:

how do you know, that she did not instead laid eggs from between those legs? I mean, that story is the golden nest egg for all Abrahamic religions. ( snake is a feminine noun in many languages )

• St George of England
  • blondie
    blondie

I guess vaginas and penises were out but women's breasts were allowed in WTS publications. Is this from a non-WTS source, George, or did they "borrow" it?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

PLEASE Acluetofindtheuser !!

Dont ask questions! Just accept all you are told - drink the cool-aid my friend.

Blondie - i have been talking for years we need to include more vagina and penis pictures in the WT lit!
    Imagine how much more success we would have had placing magazines!

Service would have rocked! Plus all the "benefits" teen JW boys would have had "studying" the lit at least 3 times a day:)

• blondie
    blondie

ttdtt, well, obviously they had them back then and it either got past that conservative generation or those books were only used by jws.

When I saw that in one of my aunts old WT books, I was stunned...........

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Not only did the serpent loose it's legs, it also lost it ability to talk to humans!

Probably big J's divine punishment for looking at a naked woman!

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit