What Do You Think of The News Media?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Its all sound bites and biased opinions both ways. Mostly.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

I think it is less about trust and more about balance. I do not mind reading fake news like CNN and WAPO and will even believe some of the things they write, but I balance it out with other sources like rebel media, the_donald, breitbart (although they have kind of shit the bed) and so on. Being a moderate is all about striking a balance & being open to new ideas IMO.

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

What kept you?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What Do You Think of The News Media? - all media outlets are biased and have an agenda.

In America trendy people sneer at Fox News for its bias; over in the UK similar people view The Daily Mail in a similar manner. And they're right in both cases.

But they often either fail to recognise or fail to acknowledge the obvious bias and agenda in the outlets they watch - CNN, The Guardian, The Huff Post, etc.

BTW well done Min for scrutinising the media & not believing every word automatically.

Something else to consider re media bias is what newsworthy stories newspapers deliberately leave out.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

If you want some actual unbiased truth. You need to listen to journalists or presenters such as John pilfer. He gets to the raw truth of matters.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The News and Documentary type programmes on T.V are essentially more for entertainment than for in depth reporting or analysis. They pander to the people who finance them and to the bias, bigotry and ignorance of their audience.

Audience figures are King, educating and reporting truth are very low down on their agenda.

Here in the U.K we are used to identifying the bias in both T.V and Newspaper reporting and journalism, and are extremely saddened that our national Public Service broadcaster, the BBC, which should be independent and unbiased, has become just a platform for pro Conservative Party (Government) propaganda. The other major T.V broadcasters are no better.

Any opposing view is given short shrift, violently edited, or worse, not reported at all !

A subtle form of Government censorship.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

Op-Ed pieces are what really bug me, especially those found in the Huffington Post, an online newspaper for crybabies

• never a jw
    never a jw

The news media is not much different from the rest of us, we all have biases. The media is not the big problem, the big problem is lazy people who don't apply critical thinking and don't do enough research before arriving to conclusions. The best way to force media to offer more objectivity is to stop watching. Unfortunately, there's few who care for objectivity, most of us want someone to tickle our ears.

• minimus
    minimus

I love the news and would never stop watching! I do hate “BREAKING NEWS!” Repeated over and over again for 24 hours.🔥

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Enquirer and The Star used to be worthless gossip rags compared to the Times or Post.

Now they are all about equal. And it isn't because The Enquirer or The Star have improved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit