What Do You Think of The News Media?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I used to pretty much believe anything they would report. Now, though, I find myself questioning “journalists “, with the realization that much of what is said may be inaccurate or slanted.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

All I know is one of the questions I ask myself these days when watching the news is "why this story and why now." Several reasons for this one being the news seems all about sensationalizing the trivial while real stories get buried. Accountability seems all but gone. Nightcrawler and Network come to mind.

• minimus
    minimus

And why are they reporting how wonderful the sister is of the North Korean dictator? Who cares about her? I don’t!

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I think there are good journalists, and bad ones. I think the major networks are basically entertainment for their fan base. Fox news cares only about feeding its ring wing old white people viewers. MSNBC cares only about feeding its left wing liberal base. I can't stand either one.

But I still want to know whats going on int he world (and then I can draw my own personal conclusions). So I will sometimes listen to NPR int he AM, and some other shows on public radio (the world, A-1, Radiolab). I also like VIce a lot.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Nth Korea OMG last month they going to nuke us all this month it's what is his sister wearing to the olympics!?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I used to pretty much believe anything they would report. Now, though, I find myself questioning “journalists “, with the realization that much of what is said may be inaccurate or slanted.

Well, as people who have been JWs, it should be very familiar to us how you can manipulate facts to make people think what we wanted from them. The news don't lie, but they have way too much "framing" of them, making people biased towards what they interpret of them. They don't necessarily lie, but I find their ways of presenting them to be unethical.

I use the same skills I acquired as a JW to separate facts from opinions.

In USA, news have also become advertising. They show "news" about the new store that has a sale on some product. And that's supposed to be news.

• minimus
    minimus

I really would enjoy viewing or reading news that was unbiased. But that will never happen!

• millie210
    millie210

I had a friend that used to subscribe to several European newspapers and one from the Arab world.

The news about America was very different than what was being shown on our TVs and in our newspapers.

That was the first time it even occurred to me that news could be agenda or advertiser driven.

• minimus
    minimus

I was in Venezuela in the late 1980s it was the very first time I ever saw the news media anti-American.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

A mixture of fact and pure bullshit!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit