Prime Minister of Australia announces intention to revoke Jehovah’s Witnesses charity status

by jwleaks 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Today, marking the second anniversary of the Australian National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse, the Prime Minister of Australia has announce in Federal Parliament the intention to place sanctions against the Jehovah’s Witnesses in relation to child sexual abuse.

QUOTE FROM PRIME MINISTER:

The Royal Commission [into Institutional Response to Child Sexual Abuse], the [National] Apology [to Victims and Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse] and these yearly reports are about accountability: bringing the truth into the light ... We still have, reprehensibly, four institutions that have been named publicly and that have blatantly refused to join the redress scheme. They are Jehovah's Witnesses ... It's not acceptable. We're currently finalising the further sanctions, that I know are supported by the opposition, that the Commonwealth will place on institutions who continue to refuse to join the scheme, including withdrawal of their charitable status for these offending organisations.

LINK: https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;db=CHAMBER;id=chamber%2Fhansardr%2Ff1f6ecee-f76e-46be-b279-e3d2a88da6c2%2F0003;query=Id%3A%22chamber%2Fhansardr%2Ff1f6ecee-f76e-46be-b279-e3d2a88da6c2%2F0000%22

BACK STORY:

https://saysorry.org/2019/03/31/national-apology-to-victims-and-survivors-of-institutional-child-sexual-abuse/

https://saysorry.org/2020/06/21/say-sorry-calls-on-australian-government-to-revoke-jehovahs-witnesses-charity-status/

• menrov
    menrov

you reap what you sow

• Funky
    Funky

Wow! That's hitting them where it really hurts - in the pocketbook.

Wonder how the WTS will respond?

For anything else, there would be trumpeting calls for action on JW.Borg - write letters to the Australian government! Special tract campaign! Satanic persecution!

But if they advertise this on their website, it would be really hard to do without mentioning, why, exactly, it's happening. And "we are losing our tax exemption because we hid child molesters" won't exactly play well, even for die-hard JWs.

And if they do mention it, but don't express the reason why, I would think that would only steel the resolve of the government to carry out its plan.

WTS is screwed - cornered, with no easy way out.

Oh, I guess I could mention, there is an extraordinarily easy way out - change its child abuse policies to something approaching "worldly" (higher) standards. But of course that's not really an option for them, is it? They'd have to admit they had been wrong, which seems like it would open the door for massive lawsuits.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Little Ausieland. Good on them. But... little...

Why doesn’t sister Canada sit up and take notice?

Beacuse big brother USA loves freaking religion and has their thumb on Canuck town.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Funky: This announcement is drastically going to adversely affect the Australian JWs letter writing campaign to all politicians and public servants in Australia this November.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

To put in the mildly vulgar Australian vernacular - What a pisser!

RB

• Funky
    Funky
    This announcement is drastically going to adversely affect the Australian JWs letter writing campaign to all politicians and public servants in Australia this November.
    Ha! I forgot all about that.

Yeah, that makes it a bit of a harder sell.

"Dear Prime Minister, Since you have seen fit to revoke our charitable status, please be notified that Jesus H. Christ is going to be coming Very Soon Now, and he has a flaming 800 pound hailstone with your name on it. Have a nice day! Sincerely, WTS of Australia."

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I see Australian national JWs being instructed to make their monthly donations directly to the Watchtower Corporation in the U.S. I am not up on Australian law, but it would seem that taking care of business expenses Down Under is going to be quite difficult for the Watchtower.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Hit the bastards the only place they really give a crap about, the wallet.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Tony will have to start drinking Jamason's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit