Secret Elders Book? Bwahahaha!

by NotFormer 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I remember a couple of decades ago when the internet was relatively young and the WT was at war with it, that they were battling to keep the Pay Attention book secret, commencing legal action against anyone who published it online (and of course, trying to out anyone who leaked it). I think it was a Norwegian skeptics organisation who had it available for download and dared the WT lawyers to come after them.

So I guess the new Shepherd the Flock book came out to try and put the genie back in the bottle and reassert some air of mystery and secrecy back into the equation.

So I typed Jehovah's witnesses secret elder book into Google. Colour me gobsmacked! A pdf download of Shepherd the Flock, hosted by the Australian Royal Commission!

I'd be interested if there was much activity on here when the new book was first published, and also when the Royal Commission decided to help the WT with their efforts to make Da Troof available to everyone?

How did the R&F react? What was the skuttlebutt from Bethel? The behind closed doors discussions at Bethel must have been heated, and the GB livid! Were there any leaks about that at the time?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    How did the R&F react?

I remember a few years ago a brother in our congregation downloaded the book from that site and printed out a copy for himself. He excitedly told a few of his friends (including me).

A few months later when I asked him about it, he said that he never went beyond the first chapter and found it is just a boring book of rules and procedures.

The GB hasn't given any direction about that but they know that most publishers don't know what to do with it once they have it. Like a dog chasing a car...

The elders' book is a generalized set of rules, however, the actual meat / secret lies in the direct correspondence that happens between the service desk and the body of elders where the direction is given for each case separately.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Where it is important is where it exposes all the ways they have to DF you, there are more pages on that than any on actual Shepherding ! And where it plainly shows they STILL give wrong direction in cases of CSA and other abuse, violence etc. still saying 'phone Legal first !

The appropriate Authorities, trained and qualified to handle such things, Morally should be contacted straight away, even if there is only a rumour, especially of CSA.

ANY delay allows the Perp. time to put pressure on the Victim (s) and any witnesses, this HAS happened !

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It is depressing a book to look through. The majority of it, probably 80-90%, is about procedural matters of how to disfellowship people, how to remove elders. All negative. The parts that might be positive and actually do some good, like counselling the depressed or actually helping people, is shockingly short. It should be the other way around. 90% counselling and 10% procedure.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    It should be the other way around. 90% counselling and 10% procedure.

Well said. I hadn't given too much thought to it until reading your comment just then, but it occurs to me that in that book there is:

• No detail about how to give encouragement and counsel using the scriptures, just general points such as "maintain regular contact with each family in the congregation", "engag[e] individuals in positive, encouraging conversation" and "express genuine concern and be quick to listen".
    • Nothing about recognising potential in others and commending/training them (apart from a small amount regarding ministerial servants).
    • Nothing about how to empathise with those in the congregation whose situations you cannot fully know, such as children, sisters, depressed and/or suicidal repentant ones, etc.
    • Nothing about training yourself personally as an elder, or developing self-awareness in how you apply scriptural principles, trying to imitate Jesus or Paul or other good Bible examples.

There are probably other serious omissions too that haven't immediately come to mind.

I notice also that at the beginning in the list of an elders' responsibilities, "
    Obey direction from the faithful and discreet slave and from overseers appointed to take the lead" ranks above "Listen carefully to the expressions of fellow elders" and "Deal in a kind and loving manner with each individual in the congregation". Very telling!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Shepherd the Flock??

More like SKIN the Flock.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember reading a story posted here about some elderly loyalist sister who was incensed that the ARC even had a copy.

😄

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

And I still shake my head that churches still refer to congregations as flocks and members as sheep…

…considering what the ultimate fate of your average sheep tends to be.

🙄

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

It is depressing a book to look through. All negative.

WT has been depressing and negative ever since RUTHERFORD took over! Both GBs and now specifically 2.0 (Lett/Splaine/Herd, etc.) have and are micromanaging the membership to the greater extent that if dubs were to breathe wrong, they can be counseled and excommunicated in a swiftness. This can be seen/proven via the WT studies plus the Broadcasts displayed on a weekly basis; and many followers are getting disenchanted/disappointed with what they are hearing and seeing in their individual Congs.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

The book has always been about how to deal with transgression. I recall my father's copy before it was re-written, was also about how to punish transgressors. It has never been about Shepherding and never will be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit