Are JW's selfish?

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Perhaps they are selfish, but I would say that probably is true with many religious people. There is always an offer of another life, whether here on earth, heaven, some even teaching you might come back as a dog.

I would agree that many are selfish in that they are scared of what might happen if they don't believe, or yes, even what is offered in the afterlife.

For me though, I would rather have gone to heaven and experience everything that has to offer than to stay here on earth forever. If I had learned the witness deal as an adult, I would have thought, wow, that sucks! I gotta stay here forever??

Don't get me wrong, I love my life here. But I do believe that this is the tip of the iceburg of what one day we will get to experience.

• Mystery
    Mystery

They are selfish in their "we are the only true religion".

They are selfish in loving God (themselves)first and family second.

They are selfish in showing sympathy.

They are selfish in knowledge because they only have one sourse of information, WTBTS.

They are selfish in the way that they cast away DF'ed/DA'ed family.

They distroy lives by their selfishness.

• anti-absolutist
    anti-absolutist

All humans are inherently selfish. There is nothing wrong with that, nor should we ever believe that anything we do is for unselfish reasons. On the other hand some of the most evil people who have lived have likely used the same argument that I just did to justify their evil acts.

The difference is all in the relativity to the rest of the people in this world.

Read mystery's points. Most of what the JW's believe leads to broken homes, broken hearts and broken lives. Individually, I would suggest, they are no more selfish than the average non-JW. As a whole, they are likely one of the most selfish religions out there. It is like the blind leading the blind. (no offense to blind people intended)

I have been shunned by my immediate family as harshly as anybody, (they would very likely not even come to my funeral, never mind anything when I am living) but I still feel for them, because they know not what they do.

Brad

• Maverick
    Maverick

Ditto Ozziepost! Maverick

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I can honestly say that I served Jah out of love. I wanted the reward, but would have served God anyway if it wasn't there. This view seemed surprising to the Witnesses I told it to.

However, I do believe that most Witnesses want the reward, and that a significant percentage would serve God without a reward. The greatest percentage would be those who served God because they did not want to die in Armageddon.

In less controlling religions, I think you will find most serve for a reward, and few serve out of fear.

Richard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit