Since You Have Left The Religion Are You Happier?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Hylandyr
    Hylandyr

Hi Minimus

• titch
    titch

Well, it might good to remember the thought of that fictional "grumpy doctor" from Portwenn, England, Dr. Martin Ellingham, played by Martin Clunes, in that PBS show "Doc Martin"---Happiness is over-rated. Well, that's what Doc Martin thinks.

Anyway, on a serious note, I don't think that I'm really "happy" at anything. Doing research over the past 10 years or so, I've come to realize that I have what is called "anhedonia". It is the opposite of being hedonistic. I really feel "happiness" at nothing. Nothing at all. For many years, including the time that I was one of the JWs, I have felt jaded and cynical.

So, always remember---Happiness is overrated. Best Regards, Everyone.

Titch.

• minimus
    minimus

Hi!

• titch
    titch

truth_b_known: You expound on some interesting, profound thoughts. That being, that "happiness" is an "inside job." Years ago, back in the late 1970s, even the WT's publication, "Awake" had an article about happiness, and they quoted some wise words from the late Dr. Wayne Dyer. Dr. Dyer had stated in one of his books that, basically, "there is no way to happiness, because happiness is the way." Something to think about.

Titch.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"there is no way to happiness, because happiness is the way."

These words are true.

The same goes for peace. There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

It might be easy to assume that ex-jws are unhappy due to the negativity they express here on JWD, mostly related to the JWS religion and what it did to them.

Their complaints are valid though, the JWS religion is full of infliction of crippling harm particularly to ones psychological health.

Born ins like myself can relate to what kind of emotional harm this religious cult effects people from children to adults, male or female.

If you don't physically die from this cult such as refusing a blood transfusion, then it will certainly kill you intellectually and psychologically in the long run.

Oh yes by the way I've been much happier out this religion but still sad that it is still around harming people in the way it does.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Don’t mean to come over as a smart-@$$, but I would put that question in the category of a “No-Brainer”!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When i was a JW I was happy beleiving what i did.Why wouldn`t one be .? looking forward to such a wonderful prospect in life ?

Coming to grips about TTATT I am happy I am no longer deluded into beleiving such a pie in the sky fantasy.

And I am enjoying living a life free from fear of a God whose going to zap me because I dont meet up with the GB restrictions in life that they would weigh me down with.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I’m grateful that I am not still caught up and the Big Lie. However I’d be lying if I didn’t miss the association with all the (now I know conditional) friends. Most are truly good & sincere people. They are just still believing the Big Lie and thus under the control of the Cult Leaders.

I also sometimes still feel saddened that there probably isn’t any Divine One (Joe Hoover or Flying Spaghetti Monster etc) who will “make all things right” and correct all of mankind’s injustices. Anyone who thinks life is fair is wrong.

But I’m happy I’m no longer toiling and stressing and being continually judged by my pursuing a Big Nothing — that false promise and false hope that never comes true.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm happier since I left but I'm not a 'happy person'.

My happiness is a work in progress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit