1975 and 1981?

by Steel 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks Vienne. I meant to say that you make thoughtful posts like your mother did.

I didn't know you were only 15. You shouldn't feel bullied by anyone so I think you are making a wise choice.

I wish you all the best with your studies and it sounds like your mum would be very proud.

Thank you for your plans to keep us updated.

• LV101
    LV101

Vienne's daughter -- people can be ugly but you don't need them -- don't pay any attention to negatives and we appreciate your being here. You're very young but wise and I'm so sorry for your loss but you'll always have your Mom in your heart. Keep care of yourself and come back and visit often -- or don't leave just take mini breathers.

Best to you!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I too would like to wish you all the best Vienne,s daughter ,you sound like a young girl who has her head screwed on right,your mother would be very proud of you .

I`m sorry for your loss. To lose your mother at such a young age is nothing short of tragic,My condolences to you.

Good luck with your studies,and take care.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

thumbs up for Vienne !

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Back to the original post no they never said it but they implied it thousands and thousands of times and there is a difference however slight

Fact is they admitted the implication some five or six years after

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Sorry to be so short but I was on my tablet, which I'm not real comfortable with.

My essay, "Watchtower’s 49 Date Failures Mostly Ditched Without Fanfare", lists 1975 as a date failure and supports that with some 6 WT quotations. Finally, the 1980 quotation (re 1975) is where they concede that they went too far in their implications.

I probably exaggerated it with my expression of "thousands" -- it was more like hundreds -- which is incriminating enough.

I was baptized in 1956 and I lived through it all, leaving in 1977 somewhat because of their implications -- not only in the publications, but from the platform and at the hall.

Those of us in the fold as apostates get enough bad press without fueling the fire with incorrect charges. There are plenty of stupid WT statements without the need to resort to false ones.

Len Miller

• TD
    TD

Is it true that in 1975 the watchtower falsely predicted the end of the world

1975 became a prophetic focal point starting in the mid 1960's. The idea was that it marked 6000 years since Adam's creation. with the next 1000 years (give or take) being the millennium.

and a great number of the membership quit..

I'm not sure if anybody knows exact numbers. The JW faith has a core of active members as well as a fringe of people who are sympathetic, but might only attend the Memorial once a year.

Events like the Cuban Missle Crises, for example, would result in greatly increased attendance, but this would drop off when the event passed.

1975 was a similar event. When the year came and went and nothing happened, attendance fell. How many true believers actually left, I'm not sure.

• TD
    TD

No need to leave, who cares about that one down voter? It's probably just a JW who is waking up and lurking, but still in that angry stage of denial.

Yes.

Like hissy feral kittens. Terrified and fascinated at the same time.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I think this will clear the whole thing up.....

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

• Steel
    Steel

I don’t doubt 1975. I am more interested in how they closed the door to people trying to escape. Was there actually a policy change in 1981?

It just kind of reminds of how they changed the meaning of the faithful slave a few years ago and then a few years later they had that hard ass loyalty assembly.

You always have to remember there is always a slimely underhanded double meaning in everything they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit