"Special" has lost its' special meaning

by stillin 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

Today is the day of the annual "special talk." It took me all of two years to realize not to get my hopes up for anything special.

then came the Special Assembly Day. SAD. Same thing.

Special Pioneers? Not so special at all.

• hoser
    hoser
    But the governing body now they are "special".
  • burnedout
    burnedout

Agreed, special assembly day, special talk, special pioneer, special announcement...

special this and special that.

Special K

I am burnedout on SPECIAL.

• stillin
    stillin

Oh, yeah, the GB! They're especially special!

It's putting exclamation marks after every sentence!

• Magnum
    Magnum

I actually realized almost 40 years ago that "special" in the JW dictionary means "same old thing." I remember one particular year in the late '80s. The elders in the congregation I was in were really promoting the "special" talk. My book study conductor was saying things like "this one is going to be really special."

It made me and my mother think some kind of new info was going to be presented. Turned out to be a total dud. Even my mother admitted it; she said "what was special about that?"

• prologos
    prologos
    may be they are working on a new "revelation" book and one of these day the special something will turn out to be one of the trumpets?--crumpets.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

It was today? My wife didn't attend or try to do the phone connection. I thought it was next Sunday.

Thanks for the information.

• steve2
    steve2

In my country, when a chain store or other merchandiser has products on "special", they are "marked down in price" (i.e., less expensive and cheaper). In the retail industry, "Special" means reduced in price for a quick sale.

I wonder if the GB are trying to tell JWs something about all these "Special" things they have?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Special" has lost its' special meaning..

Only to those of us who know what it really means..

"Special" is a Sales Hook..

The WBT$/JW`s use to Entice Anyone who may be interested in going to a WBT$ Event..

............Come to a WBT$/JW..

.............." SPECIAL EVENT "

Image result for sales hook

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL! Yes, "special" is not very exciting. When I was first learning TTATT, the new Memorial outline which banned partakers came out, followed by the "Special Talk" entitled, "Is it later than you think?"

I had to laugh as today's speaker fumbled through the talk, "Are you on the road to everlasting life?" Not only is the talk just recycled convention and WT material, but the talk announced for next week was..... "Is it later than you think?" LOL!! The irony of it all!!!!

I have evolved into an informed consumer as the years pass. In fact, I'm probably the most hated "consumer" of any business. I do my research, knowing that any given business wants my hard-earned $$$, and no amount of emotional appeal works anymore. Like the WTBTS "resurrection" video, my emotions are stirred, but I realize that stirring my emotions is the goal of the WTBTS. I am now objective and think, "That was an emotional video, but I know that it's based on false premises."

One thing to remember about "specials" is that the manufacturer or seller has gotten an S***-Ton of product A, and they are now going to offload it to you at a "discount." Sure, the sea-food place has a killer deal on mud-puppies this week; the Manager bought a s***-load of them for pennies on the dollar, and he's going to mark them up and sell them to you!

WTBTS PROPAGANDA! The more you buy, the more you save!

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit