Hello....

by Anne 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Anne
    Anne

I've been lurking in this site for about a week now. I didn't know something like this existed or else I may have come sooner. I'm a bit selfish for making this my first post, but I'd like to introduce myself and get some feedback if possible.

My parent's became Jehovah's Witnesses when I was eight years old, so I was for the most part "raised in the truth". I come from a large family that moved around alot so have been affiliated with many congregations. I was baptised when I was 13, I think mostly because I wanted to belong to something. I did the homeschool thing for part of high school, because I couldn't reconcile not having friends at school and going there every day. I regular pioneered for about 6 years. The sad part about it, was that I think I did it because then I thought "they" would have to love me and be my friends. "They" would be witnesses. Well, I was a good girl, followed all the "rules". I was lonely and depressed for the most part. I wanted to get out, and the time I did not think it was out of the organization, just out of the town/congregation.

The good part about that time period was that I went to college (that's a long story in itself). I was ostracized for doing so, and treated like a bad associate, even though I was the "perfect" pioneer. Thus began the real conflict I had the "worldly" people at school practically begging me to be their friends, and the witnesses ditching me for service. It all came to a head the summer before I moved away from my home town. I was in a very low, depressed, dark place. I had just turned 21 years old, had never been on a date (no witness man had ever shown interest in me), had few young female friends, and thought about suicide on a daily basis. A guy I worked with was very persistant, and asked me out repeatedly for about 6 months. (He was VERY handsome). The long and the short of it was I finally gave in, and we had a short relationship that lasted about 2 months. I did not love him, he just made me feel good about myself. I broke it off when I finished college and decided to move away. I also couldn't deal with the threat of being "caught". I think I hurt him, and still feel terrible about it. I've never told anyone about him.

When I moved, I resumed my charade of being perfect. The odd part was all the attention I suddenly received from single "brothers" who would not have given me the time of day before. Within a year I met my future husband. He was not at all what my family had in mind. As my older brother put it "a spiritual nothing". I stopped pioneering shortly before we were married. I just couldn't stand it anymore. As soon as I stopped people started to treat me differently. The first year we were married I was "sick" alot on meeting nights. I gradually started to miss more and more. During this time I also had a real health scare. Since I was the primary source of our support, I insisted my husband go to college in case I would not be able to work in the future. (He had been working for a "brother" since he had graduated from high school for next to nothing) It was during that time my husband and I oh so gradually started to slip away, until we hadn't been to a meeting since last years memorial.

That is what started my searching. We did go to the memorial this year. At our respective families insistance. So now what? I am not a spiritual person, never was. I admit my years in the "truth" were purely for social reasons. When those social needs were not met I drifted away. I do miss some things though, the feeling of belonging to something, the feeling of not disappointing my family, and of course the "love bombling" we experienced when we went to the memorial this year. Also part of me wants to go back just for awhile to gloat (I have a mean streak). We left for a while, and look how good our life is now. What I mean is, we just built a new house, we both have good careers, and a net work of (normal friends)Armageddon did not come, and the bad "world" did not get us. Instead we got a life.

So what is the problem? I'm not exactly sure. Somehow there is still a residual feeling of being a Witness. I have never had anyone to talk to about this. My friends would not understand, and I prefer the status quo of not discussing it with my husband. We never discussed leaving, not going to meetings, reasons, etc.. we just stopped. I actually had to go looking for reasons because I am so ambivalent. I am a nurse, yet even when I was a pioneer did not think twice about giving a blood transfusion. (The horror!) I rationalized it by stating it was thier conscience not mine. There was an brother in my old hall that was disfellowshipped for being a child molester. I disagree with the fact that authorities were not notified by the brothers (wouldn't want to bring reproach). It took a counselor for one of the girls to notify the proper channels. Come to think of it, he was appointed as an elder while he was molesting little girls, so much for holy spirit. I don't have an axe to grind though, I guess all I want is for the whole witness thing to just go away.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Hello Anne, and hopefully husband -

WELCOME.

You stated that you have "got a life' - my suggestion - stick around here and enrich that life.

Best wishes from cheeses, who cares for the new ones.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome!

I was born and raised a JW like you, was a "good" JW sister (didn't pioneer, just auxillery occasionally), so I can relate to much of your story. When you first leave, after spending so much of your life centred on the "truth", that it does feel strange at first. Bit of a void, perhaps?

Anyway, it sounds like you and your husband are going well in your life outside the Borg. Well done!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome here, and thanks for "rambling". You really have an engaging style of "rambling".

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Talk things out, and tell old war stories. The more you do, the more you'll get that Witness experience all behind you.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Take your shoes off and set a spell, have some pie and iced tea. That's Southern hospitality! Loved your ramblin' and glad to have y-all here. Maverick

• be wise
    be wise
    I have never had anyone to talk to about this. My friends would not understand, and I prefer the status quo of not discussing it with my husband.

Enjoy, that's what we're here for.

Carry on LIVING your life and GOOD LUCK with your career.

be wise.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Dear Anne:

First welcome to the board. There is a lot of healing that can take place in talking to others that have similar backgrounds. For myself I left over 7 years ago and all these years felt the same as you do. I really felt like a fish out of water. People that I work with just would not understand the lingo that is in your head. The healing for myself began (and I really didn't think I needed it) when I started reading on this board and others. I didn't even realize that the gunk was still in my brain. But when you think about it you are brainwashed for years so it is going to take some time to clean it out. I didn't even question things until I came here and read the real "truth". Keep coming back and we are all looking forward to your postings.

Leslie

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Anne,

Welcome to the board.

I’m glad you are searching and seeing that there is more to the WTBTS than we were lead to believe. In your own way you are working through the process of leaving and creating a life for yourself/family. Good for you. But realize, too, that in giving up a big identity of who we were, grief and all of its stages is what happens as we adjust to life.

There will be many here who can relate to and understand what you are going through and just the thrills of finding like xjws helps with the grieving process.

I can relate to your schooling. My hubby was an elder and PO when I went to nursing school. We eventually moved so that I could get my midwifery education. Yes there were many uneducated jws who nay-sayed our decision. But it has been a very good decision in our life.

As far as conscience matters go, JW’s expect everyone else to observe their conscience on the blood issue but they don’t respect others view on getting blood? What a double, arrogant standard the JWs have. Good for you to recognize every human has the right to decide what health care they accept and that nurses are a vehicle to help people obtain that healthcare. Not to interfere with the decisions made by providers/patients.

Stick around and bring your husband. I’m sure there is plenty for you to discover and learn and help us learn, too.

BTW, may I suggest, if you haven’t done so already, read Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz. It may help you see from the inner circle why the WTBTs is “not right”.

If you like, I have a bunch more books to recommend, too. But one day at a time and it is your life to explore.

Hugs, Joy

• rocketman
    rocketman

Welcome Anne,

Yes, many of us can relate no doubt to that feeling of wanting to belong to something. And yes, we understand as well some of the experiences you went through as a jw. Btw, my daughter was the same age as you when she was baptized.

You can feel free to talk here about things that perhaps you may not feel comfortbale talking to others about. That's what where here for.

We hope to hear more from you soon!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

((((Anne)))) You were a good little JW girl and pioneered? So did I. The description you gave about your fears and loneliness, and not being into the dating scene was me too.

But, hey now you are in a better place. You are searching for acceptance in the right way and we are here for you.

And by the way, don't worry a bit about not being "religous". Spirituallity is a whole different thing, and I can tell from your post that you have a good and kind heart and that you are very giving. You are not some "poor lost soul" as my mother says to me, even now. Don't buy into all that labeling. You can be whatever you want to be. It's your choice.

Things take time, and this adjustment will take time as well. Learn all about yourself and come to love and accept who you are. Being a part of some organization is just not where it's at. Being in tune with your own, free, self, IS.

Best wishes for your success. Now enjoy life and don't feel guilty any more, okay?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit