Should young children peddle Watchtower Society literature?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

One thing I always disliked about the Watchtower Society is how they use young children tp peddle their literature. My mom insisted that my brother (12 years old) and I (9 years old) go out in field service every Saturday morning. Didn't matter if it was 90 degrees or 20 degrees, we were out peddling Watchtower magazines.

When my older brother had children, he had his son summer pioneer at 12 years old. Forget about my nephew taking his summer vacation and doing normal summer activities. He was in a car group peddling magazines. My brother didn't find anything wrong with it. I thought that it was mild child abuse!

At what age were you out peddling literature? Do you feel that the Society use children preaching as a form of mind control?

• waton
    waton
    it was mild child abuse! R7R

if it is mild, can normal, heavy be far behind? The affront comes in to call it "worship"

the elders, ms, too see the kids' hours and placements as a means to bolster the numbers to get more privileges, as a means to get rewards : a part at a circuit assembly maybe? on the backs of kids' innocence.

It is one thing to want to show appreciation to your parents, father, another to have to peddle old light propaganda, thereby become the laughing stock of your friends, and enemies.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Frequently Asked Questions

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Force Their Children to Adopt Their Faith?

No, because worshipping God is a personal decision. (Romans 14:12) Jehovah’s Witnesses teach their children Bible principles, but when the children grow older, each one must decide for himself whether he will become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.Romans 12:2; Galatians 6:5.

Like most parents, Jehovah’s Witnesses want the best for their children. They teach their children what they think will benefit them: practical skills, as well as moral principles and religious beliefs. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the Bible promotes the best way of life, so they try to instill its values in their children by studying the Bible with them and attending Christian meetings together. (Deuteronomy 6:6, 7) Each child, when he grows older, can then make an informed decision about whether to adopt his parents’ faith.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Parents try to live through their children. Things like sports, music, politics. Where it goes wrong is witnesses do not instill life skills regarding work and education. Even the morals are somewhat phony

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Each child, when he grows older, can then make an informed decision about whether to adopt his parents’ faith.

That may be true but if he/she chooses not to be a JW then as soon as they are legally adult (18 in UK) the parents will be expected to boot them out. That was made very clear in a convention video a couple of years ago. Phone home if you're in trouble, don't expect your call to be answered. Having been raised in a family where you are strongly discouraged from forming non-JW friendships you are going to be very lonely. Chances are you have been similarly discouraged from a University education so that will affect your future finances. So, yes you can leave but we will make life as hellish as possible!

George

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    That was made very clear in a convention video a couple of years ago. Phone home if you're in trouble, don't expect your call to be answered.

Here is the video where the mother refuses to answer the daughters phone call!

Loyally Uphold Jehovah’s Judgments—Shun Unrepentant Wrongdoers

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

This thought to share is along the thoughts shared on this thread.

I don't know if you remember a young woman named Bethany on the channel 'Stop the Shunning'.

She built up a new channel called 'Burning Down the House', I don't think she has uploaded videos in a while, but anyway.....

She related an outstanding point on her previous channel.. She related how when you see young children out there in the weather elements pushing WT propaganda, it's not that really want to,,,,it's against their WILL, they feel obligated to,,,from pressure of family, elders and other congregants. Totally unfair.

That's right. Those young children are out there, against their will.

I really miss Beth's videos. Concise, spot on and really drove the point home.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I was 6 years old, my parents took me out in field service, made me offer magazines at the door, then filled out a report for me. Hours, placements, etc. 🤮 When that report was dropped into the box, the elders (brothers) wanted to ‘talk’ to me. I was so scared. My dad then told them I was scared, and just to add me as a publisher. I was only 6! And later, my mom told me that now I was a publisher, I had to report time every month, so I wouldn’t be considered ‘inactive.’ That sucked, I didn’t even have a choice. Same with the ministry school. I refused to join, but then I wanted my ears pierced. My dad told me he would allow me to get my ears pierced only if I joined the ministry school. Being a JW kid sucked. 💩

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I was very young, maybe 7.

My evil trick to lighten up the boredom was to allow my mother to give her presentation, then plaintively look the householder in the eye and say, "I've gotta go to the bathroom!"

It was amazing the number of times that it worked and I was able to spend some quality time snooping in some stranger's bathroom.

When there was silence and it looked doubtful, I would seamlessly turn to my mother and continue, "so we've got to go now. Maybe I could use the bathroom at McDonald's."

Mom figured the game out after a few months, but it was very entertaining while it worked.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Biahi

The top photo shows one child that looks about 4 years old and the older child about 7. They are assisted in the offering of magazines by their mom. It's sad that every Jehovah's Witness parent pressures their small children into field service, signing up in the ministry school and getting baptized.

How did your parents react when you stopped field service, stop attending meetings and left the organization? They sound like the typical Watchtower parents where they control their kids lives while at home and still try to control their lives after they move out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit