disgusting money grab attempt

by enoughisenough 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

put under scandals because I think it is horrid...got this from JW facts page while I was looking for something else. Check out how the JWs tried to get money from a fund dedicated to holocaust victims. : copied and pasted-

An Elder's Letter, dated February 1, 2001 referred to the Jehovah's Witness Holocaust-Era Survivors Fund Inc, explaining that the fund was being set up to assist gather money for Jehovah's Witnesses that were eligible for the payment.

Whilst this appears at face value to be commendable, Watchtower was also requesting money for itself.

www.swissbankclaims.com (as of 28th September 2009) contains the 1999 letter from Watchtower to the fund, or Click Here for a PDF copy of the Watchtower application letter. Included is a request to receive a portion of the funds on the following basis.

"Some Witnesses died prematurely and left no heirs to make a claim to the Swiss Bank Settlement Fund. However, the legacy of spiritual resistance that they left behind is of great value in the education of future generations about the importance of standing up for the dignity and value of human life. Representing these individuals, the Watch Tower would be pleased devote any allocated moneys solely to the interests of Holocaust education and the remembrance of the prisoners who bore the purple triangle, according as the court might stipulate."

It is disturbing that Watchtower requested money that could have been distributed to living victims, for what would by nothing more than self promotion of their organisation.

It appears that Watchtower did not receive any money from the fund. A statement of distribution as of 31 December 2015 stated:

"Inadmissibility decisions were claims that the CRT determined to be ineligible to participate in the Deposited Assets Class process. Under the terms of the Settlement Agreement, only the accounts of "Victims or Targets of Nazi Persecution" were payable from the Settlement Fund (with the exception of Slave Labor Class II, which was open to all Nazi victims). The Settlement Agreement defines "Victims or Targets of Nazi Persecution" as those who were, or were perceived to be, Jewish, Romani, Jehovah's Witness, disabled, or homosexual. Neither the CRT nor the Court had the authority to address Deposited Assets Class claims asserted on behalf of account owners who were not “victims or targets” as defined under the Settlement Agreement." See swissbankclaims.com/Documents/Distribution%20Stats.pdf or Distribution Stats.

Individual Jehovah's witnesses did receive compensation, as part of the tens of thousands classified as "non-Jewish victims (Roma, Jehovah's Witness, disabled and homosexual)."

Further Reading

• cofty
    cofty
    the Watch Tower would be pleased devote any allocated moneys solely to the interests of Holocaust education and the remembrance of the prisoners who bore the purple triangle

Straight into the paedophile defence fund more like.

• waton
    waton

yeah, I remember being queried about that, but jw youngsters (at the time) were not put in the death camps, unlike the other J people.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh this turns my stomach. It shouldn't surprise me, but the lengths this greedy organisation and the sycophants who help run it will go to, to line it's pockets, shock me even now.

Edit: Waton, may I ask were you a child born in occupied Europe? Or your parents?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

When I think of the level of greed, I get a little vomit in my mouth.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must be missing something here . As I read it the agreement was sought to “ devote any allocated money’s solely to the interests of Holocaust education and the remembrance of the prisoners who bore the purple triangle “

That would have been binding and with the agreement of the fund . Where’s the scandal?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

BluesBrother...here is why I thought it scandalous! ( though scandal in some sense may have not been the right word) As I understand it, the fund was for the living who had survived- "restitution of survivors" So here we have a rich organization endeavoring to get monies that was for individual survivors. They didn't get it, but the fact they tried to is abhorrent and scandalous from where I am sitting. ( and how would that money, if granted, have been monitored?) The WTBST has published information, including a video ( Purple Triangles ) without having to take "restitution of survivors" -so it isn't like they needed it. ....so an illustration, howbeit a poor one. Let's say your house burnt down...you were injured in the fire and lost everything, including family members. You are disabled, homeless, and heartbroken. A group of kind people take up a large collection for you--and after all, you are in need! When the kind people go to give you the money, they find your rich brother wants your allocated money so he can devote time to write stories about your house fire and your personal tragedy...without giving any thought to the fact that YOU are in need.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''BluesBrother...here is why I thought it scandalous! ''

Please read Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz. If you haven't already.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Blues....firstly it is for survivors. Secondly do you really believe Watchtower would have used it "solely" for Holocaust remembrance? Or rather as a Watchtower recruitment tactic by way of mentioning the Holocaust?

They're also plenty wealthy enough to do honour to the memories of Holocaust victims. One way would be to come out and publicly condemn Rutherford's "Statement of Facts" letter to Hitler.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit