Replacing God?

by punkofnice 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

We seem to be if a more secular society here in the west, these days. I'm speaking from the UK.

With the lack of belief in God/s, I'm wondering if all the seeming (note: I said seeming!), deification of people like Greta Thunberg, George Floyd and celebs amongst others, if people who have no real belief system, are filling the gap left by God with people?

Do we have an inbuilt need to believe in something or someone?

Or has the World gone totally stupid?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think we have a strong subconscious desire to belong in groups, and one of our instinctive behaviors is to protect the group from outsiders. Many animal species display this same behavior, and some ape species will even form groups that will physically attack (and even kill) outsiders from the same species.

You can see how strong this impulse is, in the way we easily form groups to support almost any person or cause. Around the world, people will belittle and insult one another because they support a different sports team, to the extent that some people have been physically assaulted and even killed over something that should be utterly trivial. Religion is perhaps our most extreme example of this form of tribalism, in that we deliberately coded in the life and death consequences of our choices. It's what makes it a particularly dangerous form of that behavior.

But I feel that it is inevitable that we would have invented religion. In some ways, we are programmed to act religiously.

• jhine
    jhine

I think that it's very possible.

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, Punk

Do we have an inbuilt need to believe in something or someone? - yes, I think we probably do.

Greta and other people from the Thunberg Tendency believe in their own Armageddon (end of the world due to pollution), and salvation (if only people would listen to what they say and agree with them on everything, the world will be saved).

Another religion is belief in human rights. I was arguing/discussing with a woman on facebook about how best to deal with people smugglers, you know, those people who send migrants to their deaths in rubber dinghies. I suggested armed police or the army declare war on the smugglers and eliminate them. She had a bit of a meltdown, piously lecturing me that all human beings have human rights, including smugglers. Ridiculous. I said that I don't believe in human rights, and they don't exist. She literally said that she couldn't talk to me because of this, and called me disgusting. All because I challenged her religious beliefs (human rights).

Another religion in the UK is the NHS. The NHS worship was evident during the early months of the pandemic. Although many doctors and nurses work admirably, the truth is that it is a gigantic black hole that swallows billions of public money. The tories have given the NHS extra billions. Where does it all go? If you dare publically criticise the NHS, all sorts of crazy shit is assumed about you. The NHS shouldn't be beyond criticism.

Other new religions are trans rights and feminist ideology.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LUHE - Greta and other people from the Thunberg Tendency believe in their own Armageddon (end of the world due to pollution), and salvation (if only people would listen to what they say and agree with them on everything, the world will be saved).

I never thought of it like that. I will in future though. I would add, they love their accolades and MONEY cult stylee!! Like Tonus said

I think we have a strong subconscious desire to belong in groups

As for...

piously lecturing me that all human beings have human rights,

There are those that give up any permitted rights by their inhuman actions. I'd shoot the buggers. (As George Carlin noted, we don't have rights, just a set of privileges that the Government can remove at any time.)

Another bunch of retards that I'd kick in the scrotes are - the NHS bosses.

All those Sheeple Seals clapping on Thursdays for them. Then the top dogs at NHS waste all that money on 'diversity and inclusion officers'. I mean, the NHS. Already one of the most diverse and inclusive institutions in the UK.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Humans are simian, apes. We are a social species. It is vital to our survival.

Religion has a use and still does. Like so many things that start off with a good and noble purpose, religion was twisted for selfish reasons. Religion was changed to be used as a means to control and exploits the social nature of humans.

Humans generally want to belong to a group. Religion played a huge part in this. Where do people usually find friends and future marriage mates? Work and their place of worship.

PunkofNice, I think you are on to something for sure. It also seems like, at least here in the U.S., that politics and government have become the new religion. Just like with religion, it is a form of tribalism.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TBK - politics and government have become the new religion

Also headed by corrupt filth.

• Smiles
    Smiles
    Or has the World gone totally stupid?

Yes, too stupid... too big & too interconnected.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Smiles - too interconnected.

It worries me what people are connecting to.

Especially these young kids with their TikTok and social media. It seems that places like these...not forgetting Twitter...are where mental people now have a platform to talk rubbish.

The problem is, idiots in big Business and our scum politicians, actually take these lunatics seriously. Whereas, they should be put in a padded cell, put in a straight jacket and heavily medicated. I'd do the same to the loonies on Twitter too.

• Smiles
    Smiles

They are right called "influencers"

since that is exactly what they, and their handlers, intend to do...

influence herd mentality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit