Moses, Pharaoh and the Exodus Fairytale

by RULES & REGULATIONS 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I do believe there is evidence that Canaanite tribes were conquered by the Egyptians just as they were by the Persians (aka "Babylon"). That would be the Egyptian slave connection to the Israelites. The nation of Israel was created as a fictional mythos for Canaanites in Persian captivity who did not want to lose their identity as was common for conquered peoples of antiquity.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Pharaoh: The man with two hearts who couldn't make up his mind.

Exodus 7 Living Bible

3 But I will cause Pharaoh to stubbornly refuse, and I will multiply my miracles in the land of Egypt. 4 Yet even then Pharaoh won’t listen to you; so I will crush Egypt with a final major disaster and then lead my people out. 5 The Egyptians will find out that I am indeed God when I show them my power and force them to let my people go.”

Exodus 8

19 “This is the finger of God,” they exclaimed to Pharaoh. But Pharaoh’s heart was hard and stubborn, and he wouldn’t listen to them, just as the Lord had predicted.

Exodus 10
    27 So the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart and he would not let them go.

Now, Pharaoh starts changing his tune with all the plagues upon the Egyptian people:

Exodus 12

31 And Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron during the night and said, “Leave us; please go away, all of you; go and serve Jehovah as you said. 32 Take your flocks and herds and be gone; and oh, give me a blessing as you go.”[f] 33 And the Egyptians were urgent upon the people of Israel, to get them out of the land as quickly as possible. For they said, “We are as good as dead.”

Exodus 13

17-18 So at last Pharaoh let the people go.

The Lord hardens Pharaoh's heart another time...so the Lord will get all the honor and glory

4 And once again I will harden Pharaoh’s heart and he will chase after you. I have planned this to gain great honor and glory over Pharaoh and all his armies, and the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord.”

If Pharaoh's heart wouldn't change so much, this would of never happened:
    26 When all the Israelites were on the other side,[k] the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand again over the sea, so that the waters will come back over the Egyptians and their chariots and horsemen.” 27 Moses did, and the sea returned to normal beneath the morning light. The Egyptians tried to flee, but the Lord drowned them in the sea. 28 The water covered the path and the chariots and horsemen. And of all the army of Pharaoh that chased after Israel through the sea, not one remained alive.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'The Israelite's were slaves in Egypt ,how come they began the Exodus with personal belongings ,livestock ,tent`s and equipment ,etc,etc ?''

I don't know if you watch EXJw Elders Wife Jayne Doe channel. I used to, unsubscribed...wayyyy too many commercials for my liking. Makes it hard to concentrate and follow along,,,,,besides the point I digress enough.

She did/used to make great points before her commercial laden/plagued videos.

She used to just destroy these bible-based ferry tales.....like the Exodus.

She had a video along these lines,,,,,about a year back....before the commercials dominated her videos. Like there is a scripture somewhere in Exodus about the Israelites making statements about how they related they were ''never in bondage'' or ''captive''. And how they ''groomed sheep'' while in Egypt.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Someone should tell Bonnie, EXJW elders wife Jane Doe, she's starting to lose subscribers because of her many, commercials throughout her video clips.

Thought I'd never see what I'm seeing there. Just nuts.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Why should the conveniently anonymous pharaoh believe anything Moses says? According to Exodus 5:1, 3, Moses lied from the outset.

Jeffro,

They worshipped in the wilderness just like Moses stated. How is that a lie?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sea Breeze:

They worshipped in the wilderness just like Moses stated. How is that a lie?

Nice attempt at obfuscation. Exodus 5:1, 3:

Afterward, Moses and Aaron went in and said to Pharʹaoh: “This is what Jehovah the God of Israel says, ‘Send my people away so that they may celebrate a festival to me in the wilderness.’” ... But they said: “The God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. Please, we want to make a three-day journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to Jehovah our God; otherwise, he will strike us with disease or with the sword.”

Saying they were only making a 3 day journey is a lie, because the intention was to leave permanently.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

At least Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner were real....unlike Jehovah(tm). Imaginary man in the sky.

How is it possible to actually believe in this garbage in 2022?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PUNKOFNICE:

I loved that movie and especially Yul Brynner as Pharaoh with his decrees: “so it is written and so it shall be done..”

I thought Exodus was my favorite bible story. Some think these things never happened. I think they did (to some degree). But I’m not defending anybody who tries to make this story relevant to today. I think certain JWs think these Go-bags they are instructed to have are because there is going to be another ‘Exodus.2’ . They might expect some miracle like the parting of the Red Sea to occur.. Whatever.

I think the bible is a book mainly of history with some fantasy, exaggeration thrown in.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm wondering why is it that this very important factor (affecting the exodus stor) is never mentioned by so-called bible students (of any flavour)? What is that factor?

Look at this map:

Map of the New Kingdom of Egypt, 1450 BCE

It shows the Egyptian Empire approx. 1450BCE. No-one living along the Mediterranean coast would have to go far to be in Egypt.

Do your think that this is an important factor is discussing the exodus myth?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I'm just wondering how the Syrians became the ASSyrians just by moving slightly inland.

Is this where the donkey herders lived or were these people, in general, idiots and so were pushed away from the gentle Mediterranean breezes by the other Syrians?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit