Everyone else burns new UK sitcom

by Mickey mouse 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'm looking forward to this, having watched a trailer I think ex-JWs will enjoy it https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/everyone-else-burns-simon-bird-first-look-exclusive-newsupdate/

• Mickey mouse
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Starts on 23 January according to the site that I saw. They look very like a rather exaggerated family of super dubs, but with enough differences to stop the production getting sued .

We shall see…

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Everyone Else Burns is a coming-of-age comedy about a Mancunian family and the puritanical Christian sect they are devoted to. Will patriarchal David Lewis (Bird) ever ascend the church ranks and become an Elder? Will dutiful wife Fiona (O’Flynn) deviate from her own dogmatic moral compass? Will their naïve 17-year-old daughter Rachel be allowed to go to university, and will 12-year-old son Aaron ever fend off his secular bullies? All could lead to damnation. Everyone Else Burns is a subversive, authentic and bitingly funny exploration into what it feels like to balance faith, family and identity in a world that could end tomorrow (but probably won't)."

• JamesAndrew
    JamesAndrew
    They’ve had to put in just enough differences to stop the production company getting sued for defamation, hence the cross and not drinking caffeine (that’s Mormans). I don’t think it will go down well with the general public; if you’ve had nothing to do with the cult I think it will have no meaning or significance. We’ll see. I didn’t find it funny for personal reasons: when I was in my final year at school, the Career’s Officer at my school suggested that I become an apprentice electrician, as I was really technically minded. When I went home and told my father (an Elder) he said “You don’t want to embark on an apprenticeship, Armageddon’s just around the corner.” That was 53 years ago!
  • Indoubtbigtime
    Indoubtbigtime

The intro is definitely referring to the music video in one convention where they all ended up in a field.

he says Armageddon is coming we have to get our go bags and go to the woods🤣

he is deciding which wedding pictures to take🤣

then it was all a drill

• Indoubtbigtime
    Indoubtbigtime

They keep saying “I should be in paradise now” and keeps talking about him being promoted to be an elder.

there is no doubt it’s mainly about the JW cult but as you say there are just enough little differences so that they don’t get sued.

The shunning thing was hilarious. “I can’t tell you why they have been disfellowshipped“ but let’s have a local needs on drugs and how bad they are🤣

it was like that in Bethel as soon as someone got kicked out there was a Bethel lecture about whatever it was they were kicked out for…….

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

which channel is it on please ?

edit--found it. Channel 4--mondays 10 pm

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Simon Bird was great as Will McKenzie in The Inbetweeners, but this show might not be so good.

We shall see ...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JAMES ANDREW:

Sorry to hear your experience! The stories never seem to stop about JWs who were prevented in their youth from either getting college OR having a well paying job! I hope you found a way to at least find something decent.

I saw a thread on Reddit the other day about ‘How do JWs get/earn money’. One very good post that I could relate to told about how somebody (as a younger person) worked for the USPS full time and somebody urged him to quit and take up a menial type job. He wisely refused.. He also noted the elders there were working railroad jobs and were either collecting pensions or on their way to. But yet none of them even suggested he apply to the railroad for the decent jobs they had!!

He surmised (correctly) that not only do JWs discourage higher education BUT also gainful employment!! This was my experience EXACTLY as all the older people in the congregation were collecting their pensions!.. Yet they had the audacity to tell ME to quit my job and take up housecleaning! The poverty they were pushing on younger people certainly was not for them!.. Thankfully, I never listened to any of them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit