price for truth

by peacefulpete 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gumby

Wanna bet? My mother would nip that kind of thing in the bud (so to speak). Cost = embarrassment, guilt. Later on, i got smarter

SS

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Hey SS, You got smarter. Ok that begs the question: smarter than your dinger or your mother? All fun intended [;)]

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

I would give almost anything to have the answers to my questions.

But I have so many questions that I wouldn't have enough to give...unless I could sell my soul...but who would want it?

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Go without TV for a year?

oh yes! that would be well worth it.

• gumby
    gumby

SS,

My mother would nip that kind of thing in the bud (so to speak

So THATS why you were circumcised ! lol

RF......You brought up a good point. Suppose we were to KNOW the origin of life and a god was not involved. Can you imagine the effects on mankind? With all the religion in the world I wonder if life would turn into chaos for many.

Gumby

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Suppose we were to KNOW the origin of life and a god was not involved. Can you imagine the effects on mankind? With all the religion in the world I wonder if life would turn into chaos for many.

They'd just do like they do now and say it's not true. How many churches howl and complain that evolution is taught in schools?? They'd just say, "It's not true. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." and keep believing what their religious leaders tell them to.

• Introspection
    Introspection

What you are asking is what would you give for some specific information, answers to certain questions - which is not quite the same as what you would give for the truth. The only price you have to pay for the truth is all of your illusions, then all that would be left is the truth.

Incidentally, it's probably not wise for some people to possess certain knowledge, for example it is rather dangerous to give a child with a bad attitude a loaded machine gun and instruct them in how to use it or something like that. Even if a person doesn't hurt others or themselves, it may be hard for them to handle certain knowledge psychologically speaking, we see an example of this in how people have a hard time with finding out the witnesses weren't the truth. For people to handle answers of this order they'd have to give up the illusions about themselves first, otherwise all you're doing is plugging in one piece of information into a schema that is largely messed up and untruthful, and it's more likely to cause harm or atleast mental suffering for that individual. In fact, this is why it is rather unskillful to knock down certain points in the witness belief system from a psychological point of view, because all that does is throw them into confusion. Of course, I can see that in some cases there may be no other alternative, but aside from correct information there is also the truth that there is more going on in the world than the information processes that goes on in your mind. If we really want the truth, then we would want to be truthful and honest about everything - otherwise we just want to be satisfied with certain bits of information, which will mean nothing if the rest of our thinking is ultimately not truthful, since we will try to fit it in there to make sense of it all.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Interesting introspection Introspection. My point, if I can truy say I had one, was to encourage self analysis. "How much do I value correct knowledge?" "Can you really know too much?" "Is ignorance bliss?" "Ought I prize accuracy over friendship?" "Do these issues really matter?" Stuff like that.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Pete, if I may I would point out that from where I stand, what you are describing is thought analysis. To me there is a significant difference between thought analysis and self analysis, because if nothing else I think we can agree that the self includes all the thoughts. Yet we can see that thoughts are relative in nature and are therefore dependent on other thoughts, which calls into question the whole process of using thought to analyze thought. I think if we want to know the truth a good place to start inquiring is the self. Who or what am I? Am I just a collection of thoughts that just pursues each other in so much tail chasing, or is there anything that can be called a self? After all if thoughts are subject to change then how can we determine anything as true? If we can recognize that anything that comes and goes is not the truth - even the thoughts we have about the truth - then I think we will be closer to finding what's really true.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I didn't realize we were disagreeing, thanks for enlightening me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit