shunning

by zeb 14 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

In the Awake! of 8th Jan 1947 it states that shunning is a pagan practice and is "all together foreign to bible teaching".

Hope this helps some.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Got a pic or screenshot of that paragraph? I'd love to see it. Ah, the flipping and flopping of what is "truth".

• Hecce
  • jhine
    jhine

Good catch Zeb

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good find Zeb.

It's definitely a good discussion point for those trying to reason with JWs.

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you Zeb!

This is within the lifetime of many who were born in or converted. This is not from the 1800s.

Not that it should matter but I find it sometimes eye opening to say to still in people, you do realize this was written the year after your dad was born?

Or the year after your parents were baptized..

I am extremely tired of the way the Org lets old teachings die out rather than defend them or apologize for them.

So cowardly.

• Half banana
    Half banana

"The authority for excommunication, they [the Roman Catholic Hierarchy] claim, is based on the teachings of Christ and the Apostles as found in the following scriptures: Matthew 18:15-19; 1 Corinthians 5:3-5; 16:22; Galatians 1:8,9; 1 Timothy 1:20; Titus 3:10. But the Hierarchy’s excommunication, as a punishment and “medicinal” remedy (Catholic Encyclopedia) finds no support in these scriptures. In fact, it’s altogether foreign to bible teachings. Hebrews 10:26-31.
    Where then did this practice originate? The Encyclopedia Britannica says that papal excommunication is not without pagan influence, “and its inadequacies cannot be adequately explained unless account be taken of several non-Christian analogues of excommunication.”
    Awake! (Jan 8, 1947) p. 27.

ref: AvoidJW.org

The Awake is talking about excommunication and the wrongs of the Catholic Church. I like the mention of "medicinal remedy" which is how the Borg sees it.

Back in those days the WT was not a hierarchical religion (or "organized" as the WT slightingly called them)...today they follow the RC Church in being both hierarchical and in using excommunication.

Note too that they referenced their research source in the Wt (Encyclopaedia Britannica).

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

Why do you lot call it shunning?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Shunning is what follows excommunication/disfellowship.

• poopie
    poopie

Hezekiah video talks about how sena Carib used public humiliation and terror to keep the conquered in line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit