Electric Vehicles ... or Auto Unions?

by Simon 35 Replies latest social current

• waton
    waton

Solar powered electric cars, covered in photovoltaic cells have been racing across Australia for many years.

nerds needing no net connection.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I remember when Musk promised he would have an affordable electric family sedan (under 35k) within 3-5 years after he launched the Roadster.

That is now more than a decade ago.

VW made similar promises, as did Toyota when they made the Prius and Nissan when they started their Hybrid program.

The EU did the same in the 50s and 60s, they started raising taxes on gas in order to force people into public transportation, to get from point a to point b in Europe is insanely expensive now. The US is more spread out than Europe.

China has no feasible electric vehicles, not for short or long haul. What you see is propaganda, refreshing things like old electric trolley busses or souping up golf carts and calling it new. They’ve been around since the 1940s, they never caught on for a reason.

Making an electric vehicle isn’t hard, some wheels a motor and a battery. Making it useful, that’s an entirely different thing.

• Simon
    Simon
    I remember when Musk promised he would have an affordable electric family sedan (under 35k) within 3-5 years after he launched the Roadster.
    That is now more than a decade ago.
    VW made similar promises, as did Toyota when they made the Prius and Nissan when they started their Hybrid program.

The reason electric cars are all priced within a certain price range comes down to politics: when people start handing out subsidies for car-buyers to buy them as long as they cost a certain amount, what do you imagine that does to the price?

If the limit to get a subsidy is $60,000 guess how much the car is going to cost ...

Because car makers are not stupid, but politicians are.

Why kill yourself making low-profit, mass-market products when you get government handouts to make luxury items for the wealthy that the government is going to subsidize the purchase of.

BTW: Tesla don't make money selling cars. They make money by being given carbon tax credits. Coupled with the subsidies, we're effectively all paying for someone's Tesla - we just don't get to drive it.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The cars were created by magic, and the power they use comes from unicorns dreaming of rainbows

Care to decipher that a little Simon ?.

Hey, I just repeated what they told me.

One thing that is clear is that electric powered vehicles usually cost more and in the case of Teslas a lot more.

You have put that into consideration when you are thinking about your over all savings.

I see these electric vehicles becoming popular in countries that have expensive gas such as Canada, UK and just about all of Europe.

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

Ok here's a subject I'm an expert in. I worked in the auto wrecking business on and off for ,40 years. First off electric battery only last 3-5 years. They are extremely TOXIC. VERY hard to dispose of. They are like spent radiation , no body wants to touch it. And why you think you don't see Toyota Prius older than 6 years old on the road? Because no one can afford $6000 for replacement batteries. The scrap metal processers don't even want them. Then I live in NYC, Where are 7 million people that park on city streets going too charge these cars , thar don't have a private home.? Then if you want to go for a 200 miles trip. . Where you going to charge your car. And it takes many hours.. and just like when you buy an air conditioner. The ticket at the store says it only burns $20 a month. Till you get the electric bill . And it's $160 more. It's all just a scam. Junk yard dog 🐕

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

I know a guy that owns a very large supermarket. He had the @100 parking lot covered on solar panels about 4 years ago

And had a special electric socket put in for a electric car Chevy volt

I asked him why I don't see the VOLT NO more. ? He told me it was a big mistake

One of the worst cars he ever had.. he got a Benz now

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Just for information purposes ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2FZml2dvdg

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

What does that mean?

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper
    You know nothing about the Environmental protection agency and disposable of Toxic waste.. don't even waste your time trying to tell me about something I worked all my life in
  • Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I asked him why I don't see the VOLT NO more. ? He told me it was a big mistake

True , but that can be said about most GM cars EV or not

I have a friend who has owned a Toyota Prius for over ten years and he said he has little trouble with the vehicle .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit