Electric Vehicles ... or Auto Unions?

by Simon 35 Replies latest social current

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

These guys just lowered their car gas bill to nothing, that saving is now going to the financial loan/lease for those vehicles

Enlighten us who wonder where the electricity to power these vehicles comes from. How is it generated? How are the batteries manufactured? How are they disposed of and where when they eventually fail, as they are sure to do? Sure they cut the gas bill to next to nothing, but electricity is not free no matter how one slices that piece of bologna. What is the cost of replacing batteries?

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Sure they cut the gas bill to next to nothing, but electricity is not free no matter how one slices that.

No the electricity to charge those vehicles isn't free, a couple of dollars for a full charge approximately .

What is the cost of replacing batteries?

Thats the unknown catch, for these batteries usually poop out after numerous charges and wear and tear 10 to 15+ years and they are extremely expensive to replace.

One shouldn't expect to buy these cars on the thinking they are going to last 20 years with the same original battery .

I would assume that once auto manufacturers really ramp up production of electric driven vehicles there would be an expanding aftermarket battery replacement industry.

• hoser
    hoser

I could see oil producing states and provinces wanting to secede over this mandate

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Electric cars are extremely polluting, just not spread across where they drive, but manufacturing is insanely bad for the environment. Lithium and other rare earth metals are now much more expensive than they were a decade ago, so batteries are getting much more expensive, electric cars are going up in cost year over year. They’re also impossible to recycle and because of weight concerns contain a ton of plastic, carbon fiber and alloys that won’t ever get recycled.

Most electric energy comes from hydrocarbons and even though there has been massive deployment of wind and solar, even Germany can’t get that share beyond 15% of their total consumption, even though on paper, they should be able to produce 200% of their electric needs from renewable powered today (most of the energy gets produced when nobody needs it, so it is sold off at negative rates to neighboring countries, then they import coal and coal powered electric from Russia when they need it).

The load on the grid will require massive investments, charging stations that have 10-15 cars charging at a speed acceptable to people (<15 minutes) would require an entire 10kV electric power line dedicated to it.

The Chrysler minivan mentioned above has an MSRP of 53000 without any options and isn’t fully electric, it’s a hybrid. The regular minivan costs half that. No way you are pumping $20k worth of gas in 10 years even if electric and financing that amount up front were feasible and free (it isn’t). I spent at most $200/month ($2400/year) pre-COVID for 2 full-size cars (Luxury sedan and 3-row SUV), now its approximately half that.

If I were rich, sure, Id get a Tesla, but I just can’t afford it and prices aren’t pointing down by the time a mandate kicks in, it is estimated e-cars will be 30% more expensive by then and that isn’t even taking into account resource shortages and import issues (most of the resources mined come solely from China)

• waton
    waton

I find it ironic, iconic, that Musk calls his electric vehicles "Tesla" , when it was his adversary Edison that was stuck in the Direct Current, but battery storable juice.

Careful with those chargers, nearly burned my house down charging while sleeping.

• waton
    waton

Auto Unions

simon, when I saw the headline, I first thought of this:

Auto UnionsFtjpM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTOL_hv_bcG_Pzr-YxoLfPAkGonsw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii-5b_9p_yAhVKs

two of the lower images picture my 2nd pioneer car, a 4 circle DKW. The circuit overseer admonished me to slow down, when elderly sisters grab the panic handle.

True conversation: while driving. passenger to me: "Brother xyz, do you believe in the resurrection? "--yes-- "very well , so do I , but nevertheless, please slow down".

I hear electric cars have unparalled acceleration, quietly.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Tesla makes luxury electric cars. They tried to make an economy car a couple of years ago and they couldn't get it under $30,000 which is way too high for most regular car buyers. Tesla went back to the drawing board for an economy car but have yet to come out with one that would satisfy the requirements for economy cars. His cars are expensive because they are luxury cars and because he has a patent on the best battery. He can afford to sell his cars at a higher price.

Other car brands are making electric cars at much more affordable prices, but none of the brands... not even Tesla has a fully functioning SUV that fits both safety standards and a good battery life.

To be honest, the US model is in danger of going out of business. China and the EU are banning petroleum based vehicles by 2035. That's an extension from the original 2024 deadline, but it is still coming. And yes, China has electric buses and heavy haul vehicles already. Everyone who has been paying attention knows that electric vehicles are the way of the future and American brands are well behind everyone else. Pretty soon, our gas prices will drop because we will be the only country using them to any great extent.

Personally, I don't care who was invited to Biden's summit. He is a dinosaur playing with cavemen. I don't care what they play at or who they exclude. The people who are paving the way for the future... are making US brand names and US government agencies redundant.

It's like NASA saying the Bezos of the world cannot call themselves astronauts. NASA doesn't live up to it's own standards. That means that the new guys are going to create new standards and new definitions of those words and the old guys are going to be left behind running in the dust.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Maybe the reason Elon Musk wasn't invited to this meeting is because his company is already firmly set in full electric autos ?

He better watch out if GM or Ford get into the market in a big way, VW is starting to sell E -vehicles and others as well .

These manufacturers will no doubt under cut the pricing of Tesla.

I guy at work just bought a new Tesla model Y a mini SUV, my mouth dropped when he said he paid $85,000 for it.

• waton
    waton
    Tesla went back to the drawing board for an economy car\

jd. I would like them make a very simple model, no power this and that, no assists, except power steering, brakes. a clock, but no radio, gps etc.

not a living room on wheels, but wheels just for the pure pleasure of driving, like my skateboard.

that should bring the price down.

• Simon
    Simon
    These guys just lowered their car gas bill to nothing, that saving is now going to the financial loan/lease for those vehicles. ......and they aren't polluting the air in the process.

The cars were created by magic, and the power they use comes from unicorns dreaming of rainbows.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit