Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets - Makes 10 Commandments Sound Facile

by cofty 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "It was funny seeing all the evangelical types work themselves into a frenzy and be so obviously conflicted..."

Damn, I wish I'd caught that, now.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Cold Steel - "What about those he endorsed anciently, such as to murder to get power and gain, torture animals, human sacrifice, including the throwing of living infants into the fires, and the decadent immoral practices of sacral prostitution, bestiality and other immoral practices forbidden by God..."

Can you quote specific scriptures where those actions were explicity and personally advocated by the Biblical figure Satan?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You must first believe in the Biblical "Satan" to place any trust in the post of Cold Steel. The fact is, "Satan" means adversary or opposer. Bible thumpers like to write "Satan" and attribute certain acts to an invisible, evil spirit, whenever it suits their pre-conceived notions. Start reading "adversary" and you will gain a better idea of what was meant in some of the ancient writings.

Also, there are two "Satans", the made up Bible one, and the other one which was mentioned in civilizations that predate the Hebrews. Another interesting fact is that no "Satanists" practice any form of sacrifice, or murder of anyone or anything. That is a made up story of ignorant Xians and their handlers.

Even if "Satan" was a literal evil spirit, he exists because God allows him to exist. Instead of using his all-knowingness to sniff out the traitorous Demon King, before he could corrupt perfect Angels and wreak havoc upon ignorant humans, God did nothing. In fact, he has done nothing on multiple occasions, except the time he ( and the other Gods ) decided they didn't like humans building a tower. Although he occasionally finds car keys and plumbing leaks for the faithful.

DD

• cofty
    cofty
    Still waiting for an explanation of how a good god can advocate slavery......
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Still waiting for an explanation of how a good god can advocate slavery...

Its just a highly efficient form of the division of labor. I'm sure the slaves didn't mind at all. In modern times Jehovah still has a special slave, the Faithful and discreet slave. And the helper slaves are just as eager to please. No no, its positively a blessing and I'm sure in the new system we'll still all be Jehovah's eager slaves. For ever and ever and ever.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thank goodness that Satan's ego does not require constant praise, or worship from humans! There's no Neo-Zionist communist plans in O'l Scratch's agenda! Leave that to YHWH the storm God!

DD

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    ...you totally ignored the inconvenient fact that your god advocates slavery.

I did not ignore the fact. I asked you to give me an example of immoral codes of God's law and you said slavery. I then asked you to explain how you knew slavery is wrong? Instead of answering me, you ask me to just accept it and answer the question. But by doing that you put the burden on me to explain an evil we haven't agreed was evil. It's an old debate trick and I can spot it a mile off. Besides, trying to discuss anything with you is very difficult because you're sloppy in your statements, which take only a moment to make but considerable time tip answer. It's clear you're getting this stuff off a website because I hear other atheists make the same points...unless you get your History doctorates from the same university.

It's a fact that the moral concepts of the ancient Hebrews were light years ahead of any of their neighbors (compare them to your Canaanite friends, for example). That law did not tolerate the mistreatment of any bonded servant or slave, and it commanded Israel to take in their servants and make them better people and eventually part of your family. You can check it out here.

It would have been within God's laws to torture a slave to death. So long as the death doesn't immediately follow the beatings. Agonisng prolonged deaths of beaten and tortured slaves are sanctioned by your almighty God.

Not so. Deliberately torturing a slave to death would be against the entire tone and tint of God's law, which was based on compassion, brotherhood and betterment. Why critics can't maintain even a modicum of objectivity and comment on the Mosaic codes in the context of the times, place and culture of the people is beyond me. Many of those codes are far superior to anything man has developed, and I'm an admirer of Greek law and culture as well as Roman civil law, as well as the civil teachings of Ma'at, previously discussed. But how did man develop these things and know instinctively that they were "good"? Or that some things were "evil"?

Many of the American founders knew enough of what to incorporate into our civil law to promote freedom and ensure domestic tranquility, and it's a fine balance. They knew slavery was wrong, but they laid the groundwork for a system of government that would transcend the practice. But it requires a balance. At the end of World War II, General MacArthur refused to be an active force in developing the New Japanese constitution. He gave them copies of other codes and constitutions and told them to write theirs. The only stipulation he made is that they had to guarantee the equal rights of women. He introduced the concepts of labor unions and free trade without the adversarial components, and it all turned Japan around and made it the foremost industrial power in the Far East.

But despite man knowing good from evil, there are plenty of times they deliberately chose evil to get power or gain. Whether it's abortion or the burning of infants (which the Canaanites delighted in), the question of good versus evil was viewed more subjectively. The fact remains, the Hebrews and their laws were far above any of the other peoples of their day.

• cofty
    cofty
    you put the burden on me to explain an evil we haven't agreed was evil

The onus is on you to explain how keeping slaves as personal possessions is loving and good and reconcile that with other things your bible says about the definition of love and morality.

I am not arguing that slavery is objectively wrong - it is and on a thread about godless ethics I will show you why I can say that - I am saying that your god is a hypocrite. Slavery contradicts his own expressed standards. Your worldview is internally contradictory.

You do not have absolute or objective morality you have ethics by divine fiat and your god is as capricious as a spoiled child.

• cofty
    cofty
    the moral concepts of the ancient Hebrews were light years ahead of any of their neighbors

And light years behind all civilised post-enlightenment societies.

Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit