ARE YOU AFRAID OF DYING?

by Mary 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

As we were all told long ago, none of us would have to worry about getting old and dying in this System of Things, because the New System was "right around the corner". As we all know, that corner was really a circle and the New System is always just out of reach.

My father, a Witness for the last 60 years, is terrrified of dying, seeing as he never thought he'd have to deal with it.

However, it bothers me alot that I'm going to have to watch my parents die, seeing as I was told this would never happen and it's really starting to bother me.

So, faced with our own mortality, and considering that most of us never thought we'd be getting old, how are you handling the inevitable?

• JH
    JH

Yes, I'm afraid of dying, and especially of eternal death.

What can we do? Go back to the hall? Witnesses die too. All should resurrect said Jesus, so why worry?

Satan said you wouldn't die, and God said you would die.

Some are afraid of living, and some are afraid of dying.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I hate the thought of certain people I love dying. Like my Grandmother. She is my only grandparent left. And she is a spunky little red-head too, so we always have great conversations, because great red-heads think alike. She had a massive heart attack when I was 6, and only uses 40% of her heart. She had cancer surgery when I was 12. By all rights she shouldn't be here. We recently found out she has an enlarged heart now, so she gets breathless, and tires easily.

But she does what she can. And she and I get together to rant about world politics, and current events every few days. Sometimes we talk about old relatives I never knew. Sometimes we talk about death.

I told her I was reading about this new procedure for people with enlarged hearts, and I thought she should talk to her doctor about it. To which she calmly said, "Oh no...(deep sigh)...if I was younger sure, I would think about it, but I have had a long life. Everyone in my family died of either a heart-attack or cancer, and I had both! So I figure, when it's my time, it's my time. I've already had more days than any of them. I'm old. I should move on."

First off I was distraught. My grammy was talking about dying! She didn't even want to think about this procedure! I actually went home and cried because I thought about life without her.

But my tears quickly evaporated. My grammy isn't scared to die! She's lived a full life. And she has mentally prepared herself to go. She is not depressed by any means, so it's not like she WANTS to die. But she is ready to when it happens.

To me, that is the epitome of strength. It was just my selfishness that would want her to go through another surgery to prolong her already long life another few years (if it was a success).

So in answer to your question, am I scared of death? Nope. It doesn't seem scary to me...seems kind of peaceful? Like a comfortable eventuality. But then again, I am 23...talk to me in 40 years when I have cancer, or heart disease, or dementia, or whatever else.

But then again...I hope I have half the courage, strength, and grace that my grandma does, and maybe I will be ok...

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Mary,

Yours is a timely question as my wife and I have been discussing it a lot lately. I guess I don't fear dying, more dying in pain!

The fact is, the fear of just dying is a state of mind. For example, we "die" every night when we go to sleep. How many times do we wake up and say :"Is it that time already?" We could have been asleep for hours and not even remember a dream. In other words, we were at peace without even realising it. To me, that's like death. It's a perfect peaceful sleep - though it lasts an awful long time

Personally, I don't believe (feel) death is the end. I no longer believe in what we were taught as dubs, but I don't believe we go to heaven or hell either. If you think about it, our bodies are made up of billions of atoms, which don't die. When we die these atoms go into making up other things. That fascinates me. Perhaps I'll end up part dog, part river and part furniture - who knows?!

The main thing is to enjoy life now (I know, an old cliche). I've lost some wonderful pets, let alone family and friends, and I've never detected any difference. I have a greater appreciation for nature all round now and I like the old Buddhist saying: "With each ending comes a new beginning!"

Dansk

• kls
    kls

Actually, i am not afraid,i like Dansk feel it's just like going to sleep ,you just don't wake up.I really think most are afraid because they think of the dieing as suffering,not while dieing but when they have died.I think they are at peace and have no clue as to what is going on in the livings life.The problem is that when a loved one dies we think they are going to miss us and are hurting.In reality we are the ones hurting and are alone .To sum it up they have no saddness or hurt but the living do.I hope i am getting my point across, i am having trouble wording what i am trying to say,Hope you get it.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Did you see this post?

I don't fear death for this reason.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/47243/667321/post.ashx#667321

Qwerty

• rocketman
    rocketman

I agree, we thought we'd never have to deal with the whole death thing, and now my mom is old, dad is gone, and even my siblings are getting "up there" (I have a sister over age 60).

I never thought we'd be dealing with this stuff. I've been just tyrying to condition myself to learn to accept it, that one day my turn will come too, and that my generation (I guess I'm a very late Baby Boomer) will one day also have to take our step up to the plate and deal with death.

• ozziepost
  • Prisca
    Prisca

I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to (to paraphrase Robbie Williams)

I am more afraid of HOW I'm going to die, rather than the actual certainty of it. I wouldn't want to die in an accident, or by some violent means. Preferably, it will be a gentle passing on to another life/dimension/whatever, surrounded by people who love me.

Qwerty, I read the thread you linked to, and I have to say that I have experienced things that convince me that there is more to our existance than this physical life that we have now.

• TorturedSoul
    TorturedSoul

As some of you know I am terminal. I am not afraid...disapointed that I will have to leave things undone, but if the ones I love are near me, then the passing will be much easier. It's been one hell of a journey.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit