Atheism = self defeating.

by towerwatchman 315 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

What difference does this make in the life of an atheist?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Here we go another US vs: THEM troll thread. Designed to grab attention. Designed to start controversy. Boring.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Evidently all cults share a lot of brainwashing techniques like buzzwords.

Evidently these buzzwords are half truths.

Evidently we all know JW. Org is a cult that uses the "evidently" buzzword.

Evidently Scientism abuses a lot of the buzzword "evidence" too. Coincidence?

Evidently brainwashed scientimists never say they are actually demanding scientific evidence for everything.

Evidently we all know there are several types of evidence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence

Evidently is very easy to be an atheist with silly and flawed concepts of God and science.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If you cant define what a god is then there is no god.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

We can only know the thing-in-itself through philosophical concepts (read Kant).

Even your mother is only known by you as a concept of your mother.

Atheism is the denial of a concept of God.

If you choose a very flawed concept of God then your atheism is undefeatable.

Evidently...

• Onager
    Onager

They're not responding or defending their position are they? Just another drive by sensationalist Troll twat.

if they *were* still here I'd say that an argument that relies on your own special definition of a word is a bad argument.

If you reverse the OP's definition, so that Theists have absolute knowledge that god does exist then you:

a) Make faith impossible

b) Make all theists as omniscient as god.

• cobweb
    cobweb

I have a lack of belief in God just as I have lack of belief in a million other things there are no evidence for: santa clause, fairys, leprechauns... I really don't need to be wasting my time on leprechauns.

• cofty
    cofty
    What the atheist is fundamentally saying is that he has infinite knowledge of this universe to affirm that there exist no being with infinite knowledge. What the atheist is fundamentally saying is that he has infinite knowledge of this universe to affirm that there exist no being with infinite knowledge

The problem is you haven't defined the "God" that atheists reject.

Christians make a lot of specific claims about god. It is possible to show that these claims cannot be reconciled with each other or with reality. Therefore we can say with certainty that the god of Jesus does not exist.

If you retreat into a very vague form of deism - a common trick of christian apologists - then of course your very modest claims can never be refuted.

To illustrate - If I said unicorns exist, an a-unicornist could never prove me wrong without perfect knowledge of all the beings - visible and invisible - in the universe. If however I say that a large pink, visible, and noisy unicorn lives in my bathroom then the a-unicornist could prove their case beyond all reasonable doubt.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Christians make a lot of specific claims about god. It is possible to show that these claims cannot be reconciled with each other or with reality.

True.

Every Christian must be an atheist depending on conflicting concepts of God.

There are several concepts of God in Christianity that doesn't make any sense at all.

The concept of Jehovah is absurd.

The calvinist concept of God is absurd.

But there are very sophisticated concepts of God in Christianity and outside like the Hindu concept of Brahmam, for example.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I admit that the several Christian concepts of God are responsible for undefeatable justifications to Atheism.

Sad but true.

Atheism is not a conclusion from any formal logical argument.

Atheism is just a valid denial of absurd concepts of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit