NHL Rnd II-Hockey's Holy Grail

by Seven 20 Replies latest social physical

• Seven
    Seven

SERIES: MIGHTY DUCKS LEAD 2-0
    Final: Recap | Box Score
    Ducks pull another stunner
    The Mighty Ducks didn't need much extra time in Game 2 to really hurt the Stars.
    MINNESOTA VS. VANCOUVER SERIES:

CANUCKS LEAD 1-0
    NEXT: Sun., ESPN2, 10:00 PM

SERIES: DEVILS LEAD 2-0
    Devils in control
    For the second straight game, Jamie Langenbrunner scored the game-winner vs. the Lightning.
    PHILADELPHIA VS. OTTAWA SERIES:
    SENATORS LEAD 1-0
    NEXT: Sun., ESPN2, 7:00 PM

Round II update: The Devils take a 2-0 series lead with them as they head south to Lightning ice while the Ducks hope to pull a second straight hoover with the Stars. Hey Dallas and Tampa...WAKE UP!!! Geez oh pete! This ceases to be funny.

I hate afternoon games! Now I have to wait until Sunday evening for another fix. C'mon Flyers, turn it up a notch and go back to Philly even at 1. Same goes for you Wild things!

• Seven
    Seven

Fellow fanatics,

I saw in another thread an asisine remark that the Senators will win-all the good teams are from Canada. LOL Yeah, and without the great Czech players they would have struggled to make the playoffs. Geez. Hurry to the nearest clue store. Fortunately for the fans the NHL includes the "world's" greatest players.

The Flyguys are still up 1-0 but the game is young.

• Seven
    Seven

FLYERS shout out Sens 2-0 to even series 1-1.

OTTAWA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Flyers are tied with the Ottawa Senators in their second-round playoff series because of Roman Chechmanek and a newspaper clip.

Cechmanek stopped 33 shots for his second career playoff shutout and the Flyers beat the Senators 2-0 Sunday night to even the series.

He made up for his dismal performance in Friday's series opener by posting his first shutout in these playoffs. Simon Gagne and Mark Recchi scored for the Flyers, who tied the best-of-seven series 1-1.

"We were ready for tonight's game,'' Cechmanek said. "Maybe I was too emotional the first game. I have to play like in the regular season.''

Philadelphia was also inspired by an article in a local paper that said the Flyers were done if they lost Game 2. Flyers center Jeremy Roenick cut the story out and showed it around at Sunday's morning skate.

"It fired all of us up,'' he said. "Ottawa can thank the media for being a bunch of idiots. It was a smack in the face, and our guys didn't like that too much.''

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock was critical of Cechmanek after the goalie stopped just 13 of 17 shots in Philadelphia's 4-2 loss in Game 1. He still wasn't pleased after this victory.

"I didn't think we played very well,'' Hitchcock said. "I thought we played better in the first game. I don't think we played well until we got mad.''

Game 3 is Tuesday night in Philadelphia.

Gagne scored early in the first period and Recchi added another late in the game against Patrick Lalime who made with 21 saves.

WILD even it up

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Sergei Zholtok and Wes Walz scored just over a minute apart early in the third period as the Minnesota Wild beat the Vancouver Canucks 3-2 on Sunday night to even their second-round series.

Marian Gaborik added a goal and an assist, and Pascal Dupuis had two assists for the Wild, who return home for Game 3 on Tuesday and Game 4 on Friday. Vancouver won the opener 4-3 in overtime last Friday.

After the Canucks staged a furious flurry in the closing seconds, for the second straight game, tempers flared after the buzzer and several fights broke out near the benches. Five players were given misconducts, including a game misconduct handed out to Wild defenseman Willie Mitchell. He had been sent off for roughing seven seconds earlier and came back out onto the ice.

The Canucks, who rallied from a 3-1 deficit in the third period in Game 1, pulled goalie Dan Cloutier with two minutes left. They got within a goal when Mattias Ohlund scored at 18:28.

Trent Klatt almost tied it on a scramble with 54.7 seconds left, but Wild defenseman Willie Mitchell closed his hand on the puck in the crease. The infraction went undetected, and a video review showed that the puck never crossed the line.

Ed Jovanovski also scored for the Canucks, who lost for the first time in five games.

Zholtok broke a 1-1 tie at 1:02 of the third, just seconds after a Vancouver penalty for too many men on the ice expired. He cut down the middle untouched and one-timed Andrew Brunette's pass from behind the net past Cloutier.

Walz, who scored twice in the third period of Game 1, made it 3-1 just 1:03 later. He fought off Markus Naslund's soft check and tapped in Gaborik's cross-ice feed on the other side of a sprawling Cloutier.

Dwayne Roloson, out since Game 4 of the first round because of a groin injury, replaced Manny Fernandez in the Wild net and made 30 saves.

Fernandez had better playoff numbers after backstopping the final three first-round wins over Colorado, but Roloson was 2-0-1 against Vancouver this season and 6-2-2 in his career.

Roloson was especially sharp in the first, stopping Matt Cooke on a partial breakaway, and robbing Markus Naslund and Artem Chubarov from close range in the last five minutes of the period.

Cloutier made just 15 saves.

Gaborik opened the scoring on Minnesota's first shot of the second period the Canucks had a couple of good chances to clear the puck. Dupuis got the puck along the boards and fed Gaborik in the left circle for a one-timer that beat Cloutier high on the glove side.

Jovanovski's fourth goal of the playoffs tied it with 2:42 left in the second period after Trevor Linden spotted him trailing unchecked on a three-on-two rush. Jovanovski walked in alone and beat Roloson low on the stick side.

Both teams finished 0-for-3 on the power play.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Seven !! It looks like we BOTH got our wish. The Flyers and Wild are both back even in their respective series!

Some people thought that the shocking 4-3 loss in OT that the Wild suffered in Game 1 would take all the starch out of them. But this team is young and can bounce back quickly. Coach Lemaire showed his genius once again (can someone please acknowledge that he is the NHL coach of the year already??) by switching goaltenders, giving the Vancouver Canucks a different look. Duane Roloson was 2-0-1 in the regular season against the Canucks and 6-2-2 lifetime, so inserting him as goaltender made perfect sense.

And watch out for that new "Wild" dynamic scoring combination of Marion Gaborik and centerman Wes Walz. The Canucks tried double-teaming Gaborik all night. But once again speed beats size in the playoffs, and Gaborik is the NHL's fastest skater. His rebound from an awful last-half of the regular season (let's call that a LEARNING experience for him) is the main reason (in addition to Manny Fernandez' stand-on-his-head goaltending against the Avs in game 7) that the Wild have come this far.

But I look for Vancouver to bounce back -- I just get this odd feeling that even though the Canucks have lost the home-ice advantage their rough-and-tumble style will keep them close. But I still give the edge to the Wild because Canuck goaltender Dan Cloutier has been very shaky, and the Wild will continue to give him fits.

• Seven
    Seven

alt

GAGNE GOES STICKSIDE!!!

alt

ROLO SAYS NO!!!!!!

Hey Gopher!

Everyone is waiting for the Wild to fold. LOL Think again. These guys are on a mission and lovin' it! The noise level Tuesday night will be deafening! Enjoy every second of it Goph! Canuck star and Robbinsdale, MN boy Trent Klatt comes home to gopherland-what a thrill for him. Go Wild!!

Trivia: For the first time in NHL history an original six team fails to reach the second round.

• Seven
    Seven

SERIES: MIGHTY DUCKS LEAD 3-1
    Heika: What's the big deal?
    The Ducks worried about losing Game 3? It's not as if they've never lost before.
    MINNESOTA VS. VANCOUVER SERIES:

CANUCKS LEAD 2-1
    NEXT: 5/2, ESPN2, 9:00 PM

SERIES: DEVILS LEAD 3-1
    Devils take charge of series
    The Devils got back their leader and extended their lead in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
    PHILADELPHIA VS. OTTAWA SERIES:

SENATORS LEAD 2-1
    NEXT: 5/1, ESPN, 7:00 PM

OMG the Ducks!! Giggy the dragon slayer gets his first shutout and their 8th consecutive 1 goal game places them alongside the Habs in the record books. With a buck and change left on the clock Mike Leclerc put the biscuit in the basket off a sweet feed from Sandis. My gawd what a thrilla!!

Los Diablos own the neutral zone. Buh Bye Bolts. New Jersey will put a ribbon on it on Friday.

Tomorrow has the Flyers and Sens and the Wild and Canucks. More overtime! Go Flyers! Go Wild!

• heathen
    heathen

I really really really Hate anaheim .

• Seven
    Seven

Fear not, oh heathen! The Stars have a new goaltender for Friday's contest.

Arthur and the Ducks confront the "Knights who no longer score goals."

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hehe Heathen, now you understand my hatred of the Ducks! I'm rooting for anyone playing the mighty quackers. But then again, I'm cursed so.... ~Aztec

• Beans
    Beans

Go Devils, and the Canadian teams!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit