Anyone have your local cong. give out papers to say what you can afford to give the cult?

by mickbobcat 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Back in the late 80s I can remember my local cong. pass around a paper that had a place for head of house hold name and how much they can afford to give every month for one year. I have not seen this in any others but one. But I remember the elders said they needed to know what they can bank on to know what they can afford to borrow to remodel ect.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

We were asked to pledge in UK - it was well before 2014 - maybe 2009. The elder who handed me my form looked embarrassed. He hated doing it. I did not hold out my hand to take the form and he quietly put it back in his jacket pocket or wherever he had produced it from.

Many congregation members feather spat over this.

However this was to be followed by happier times when they were invited to write personal letters to Mr Putin. The intense pleasure they got sending letters to Russia meant that the cost of postage was a mere peppercorn to them. Multiple letters were sent by poor people who became even poorer. Doubtless the charity shops saw a dip in their takings during this time.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Yep!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes when a remodel was being considered.

Actual contributions fell far lower than what was "promised".

• hoser
    hoser
    Renovations were a scam. They said a number that the congregation needed to reach for money, started the project and near the end pressured for more money.
    Yes, more than once I was given a paper to pledge.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Du wot?😂

Anna Marina I've never heard that one before?! What does it mean please?😊

MBCI thought it was standard practice these days. Tithing by the back door so to speak....doesn't every Cong have to pledge what they can afford to donate "on a monthly basis or whatever" as ANTMO would say.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Luke 14:28
    For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

Yes...we had to do that back in the day. As per usual they trotted out the scripture above as a way to make it all seem as if God was involved in whatever they wanted the money for.

There's a scripture for every occasion if you're creative enough.

Diogenesister: Feather Spat (past tense of spitting feathers) means they were very agitated or took exception so much to the point that all that came out of their mouths was the spitting and sputtering sounds one would make if they were trying to rid themselves of feathers stuck in their mouths or stuck to their wet lips.

"He was so mad he was spitting feathers ( also cotton or wood chips)"

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I remember this happening a few times, at least once that was not in relation to a remodeling excuse.

• Anna Marina
  • oppostate
    oppostate

The first time we had to do the paper and cipher game I was already Pimo. I thought about it, I pondered, ruminated and premeditated a wicked scheme. I took pencil, pen, marker and crayon, no lie, and wrote several slips in different paper slips. The figures were not too extravagant, the one in crayon was only $1 but some in pen were $120 and one for $200 which was the highest. But all figures were divisible by four.

The total of my slips was over $1000. When everything was tallied up the congregation had pledged over $3000 per month. We had had months where the contributions were less than $800 in a congregation of 93 publishers with public talks sometimes in the 120 range.

The BOE ran with the total figure though and the congregation unanimously voted to contribute it.

The first month, not even half of the amont showed up in contribution boxes, leading to a special local needs talk on the matter of contributions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit