Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?

by Fisherman 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    So you are telling me that there is nothing wrong with slavery.

I said that your views don’t matter compared to the Bible standard. Another example is sexual immorality.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Slavery

In the Bible, God is not the author of slavery. Slavery originated with humans. He worked along with it and tolerated it as with human suffering until he takes action in the future —as the Bible explains.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Who is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

Catholics - The Pope

Jehovah's Witnesses - The Governing Body

All other Christians - All Christians

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector
    In the Bible, God is not the author of slavery. Slavery originated with humans. He worked along with it and tolerated it as with human suffering until he takes action in the future —as the Bible explains.
    Exodus 21:20-21 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

You are telling me God did not author this? Who did? And which parts of the bible are authored by God and which parts are authored by man?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The question of who was the 'faithful and wise servant' (KJV wording) has split the WT world before. It was widely believed to be Pastor Russell for many years. After he died, the belief was put down by Rutherford and replaced with 'that servant' being all the anointed as a class, even going back through the Middle ages to include the Lollards and other groups. This identification was anathema to a lot of the Bible Students, and along with a lot of other doctrinal and organizational changes, led to the Bible Student breakaway groups.

More recently, the identity of the 'faithful and discreet slave' (NWT reading) was changed to be just the governing body after 1919. They kicked Russell to the curb.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I just read Mt 24:36-51 to get the context. It seems to me that the faithful slave is one who carries out his duties and is responsible and industrious. Verses 45-47 seem to be simply a lesson or parable about being diligent in the last days. What would make anybody think the passage is prophetic - that it indicates that there would be some specific entity that it's referring to?

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

Ridiculous to build a whole doctrine frome one scripture...

• Smiles
    Smiles

Ridiculous, yes, but also so very convenient when that single scripture enables a massive power grab over millions of followers.

🤑

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Problem with this passage is few venture further with their reading. One of the GB commented concerning this passage. It's a 'hypothetical impossibility.' Unfortunately one cannot wish it away. It was added by Jesus for a reason, especially the part of 'beating the slaves' as well as 'the eating and drinking with cofirmed drunkards,' e.g., Babylon the Great (cf. Rev. 17:2). So, there is risk involved for anyone that insists on applying the passage to himself:

48 But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, My master is delaying,
    49 and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards,
    50 the master of that slave will come on a day that he does not expect and in an hour that he does not know,
    51 and will punish him with the greatest severity and will assign him his part with the hypocrites. There is where [his] weeping and the gnashing of [his] teeth will be. (Matt. 24:48-51 NWT)
  • waton
    waton

after all, it is a question, not an answer, or confirmation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit