73 years old, a Witness for 48 years, an elder for 24 years, Baptized just before 1975. WOKE UP!

by pistolpete 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Magnum

It's ok. Even if it was an insult, I hardly take any offense nowadays. In general we don't have anything in particular with people. It's ideas and doctrines we don't agree with that bothers us the most (especially when they are forced upon us). But as you said we need to keep an open mind and try to figure out for ourselves what is going on, considering the limited amount of time we have in this life. Not everything is what it appears to be. (See Plato's allegory of the cave). When you start to doubt the Bible's content and authenticity everything falls apart. It's important to come to the conclusion whether the Bible's content make sense or not. We tend to be curious about our existence and we try to look around us for different sources of information. I believe Jesus was special in human history. His message was simple but he managed to distroy all the gods of the mighty Roman empire. We even count the time since He was born. It is very debatable to say that we are the only form of intelligent life in this univers. And everything is to complex to be random. (At least this is my perception of reality, which I believe is true)

• Magnum
    Magnum

GodBeliever,

I don't want to take this thread off its subject, so, I'm going to try to find time to PM you in the next week or so (leaving in a few minutes to drive out of state for work-related issue and will be really busy next three or four days).

In particular, I'm curious about this:

Not everything is what it appears to be. (See Plato's allegory of the cave).

I want to know you what you mean by that. I think about things not being what they appear to be a lot, but, I don't know if I'm thinking of the same thing you are.

Also, I agree with this:

It is very debatable to say that we are the only form of intelligent life in this universe.

And I constantly think about this:

everything is too complex to be random.

It does seem that way to me, but, then, I always think about the notion that if there is a creator, then isn't he too complex to just be here without some kind of origination or higher originator?

I don't know and I want to know. I don't have that many years left to try to find answers, and, also, because of the financial situation my having been a JW for decades put me in, I don't have much free time to read and research.

Anyway, I will PM you. As I said, I don't want to disobey forum rules and derail this thread. If you want to comment on any of the above, feel free to PM me.

• Magnum
    Magnum

pistolpete, wow, that one's interesting, too.

I especially like this:

I knew something was wrong for years but could never quite put my finger on it

and this:

The biggest change was the anointed no longer being the faithfull slave but only the GB being the slave. That meant that ever since the time of pastor Russell the whole doctrine had been false!.

and this:

The whole thing is now morphing into a new online trash internet religion with no real substance .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When I read this experience I had a tear in my eye , whoever said "you can`t teach an old dog new tricks" ?

And the line from this gentleman is simply the best .

The whole thing is now morphing into a new online trash internet religion with no real substance .

Never a truer word was said.

The fact that he never shunned his son was also telling ,he was just a slow learner .

But eventually he got there.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think there are many older ones that see the problems. My 80+ year old mother does. But they are in a more difficult position than younger persons. It could be much more difficult for older ones to re-establish a complete new network of "friends" (even conditional ones like the JW's). And they likely have no other network -- ie, school or work.

I've mentioned on this board some of the interesting comments I've heard from older ones in the past few years.

"I think those guy in NY have gotten something screwed up."

"I guess I'll have to make it to the New World via the Underground." (Coming to the realization they were indeed going to die, but couldn't just come right out and say the bOrg was wrong.)

There are many who discreetly say things within their close circle of friends that they feel they can trust, but they know better than to be too vocal about it.

These older PIMO's are really a "drain" on the bOrg. They need assistance from the younger members and in most cases they are respected and younger members will help them with assistance with their home or transportation to doctors, etc. At the same time, they are cutting back on their contributions because they came up when "Free, Free, Free" was printed on all the literature, and they remember that the (old) bOrg would "never beg for funds" unless the bOrg lost Joe Hoover's blessing. They witnessed the bOrg win 49 cases in the 1950's with the SCOTUS but now they hear of endless losses and settlements in CSA court cases.

It's no longer the Organization they used to know.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I’m really in two minds about this. Will it, in the short term, be liberating in gaining his freedom or will kill him when the realisation sets in that he’s lost everything by been shunned. In the case of my my elderly father it would be an unkindness to wake him up.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Totally agree with your thoughts there, Joe!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is a difficult decision if we have the opportunity to wake up an older person. Will it be of benefit to them, in other words, will they end up HAPPIER for being woken up ? If it is your honest opinion they will not find a happier life by being woken up, then, leave them.

I know we can look at their life in the Org and see all the down sides, but, will they be HAPPIER if released ?

Not all will, I have JW relatives who have given their whole life to it, all their " friends" are in it, it is their Social Support Network, it is their Hope. Who am I to take that away from them, however false it may be, if by doing so I make them more miserable ?

But, I am one who if I was entrapped until now in it, and I am in my 70's, but was woken up. I would SO appreciate it ! and love whoever helped me to wake up ! even at my time of life.

So, all I am saying is, make your judgement on this well.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

It is a difficult decision if we have the opportunity to wake up an older person. Will it be of benefit to them

Bummer if I woke up a 94 year old on Monday and he died on Tuesday.

I personally don't try to wake up jws just for the sake of waking them up. I have to see with my own eyes, that particular person "Wanting to wake up," Then I will try to help them.

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHIZZY & PISTOLPETE:

I never had any desire to drag anybody out of the religion by both arms. I’m just glad I got myself Out.

I feel badly for those who have family still in but I do agree with those who feel it would be a cruelty to ‘awaken’ anybody who is elderly and perfectly content to be there. It’s a social club for them. I don’t feel I have the right to rip the rug out from under somebody and disillusion them and set them up for shunning and hurt, which is what will happen.

I do feel that it is too late to replace certain things very late in life - regardless of what some may think!..Even young people who leave the JW religion sometimes need therapy. I would never inflict this on somebody elderly. I believe in leaving them alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit