Are looks deceiving?

by JH 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Just by looking at a person, the way he/she dresses or by the facial expressions, can you tell what kind of person she/he is?

Do you see a correlation between the looks and the personality of a person?

• jwbot
    jwbot

I have piercings and stuff, and I get looked at a lot, and I am the shyest and (I think) nicest person EVER!

So don't judge a book by its cover.

• Prisca
    Prisca

What do you think, JH?

• SYN
    SYN

How a person looks often has very little bearing on what they're like "inside", so to speak. Typically I can deduce the type of personality I'm dealing with within seconds of meeting a person, but I'm crazy like that...

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

You can only tell generalisations...

Like you can tell a goth or a bodybuilder by how they look or dress...

You can't tell their deeper qualities though, like inner personality.

Anyway... why ask this question?

• JH
    JH

When you pass an interview, the first few seconds, they already know 90% of what the want to know. Your looks, the way you dress, the way you talk, your facial expression, they already know if they want to hire you.

That says alot...

• ring
    ring

depends on how much I've had to drink......

• Maverick
    Maverick

During the days of Lincoln's presidency, a trusted adviser recommended a candidate for the Lincoln cabinet. Lincoln briefly considered the possibility before declining to make the appointment. When asked why, he said, " I don't like the man's face."

" But the poor man is not responisble for his face," Lincoln's adviser pleaded.

"Every man over forty is responsible for his face," Lincoln insisted, and the prospect was considered no further.

Maverick

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Yes. A person can present themselves differently at different times due to their own mood. A person's facial expression can really tell a story, if they aren't that aware that someone is watching them. We all try to be socially acceptable even when we feel bad, but sometimes, feelings do show on our face, more than we think.

There have been times, some of the worse times in my life, when I would seek time alone to myself, and then find myself tearing up and walking around crying and wiping the tears. I wasn't in the least bit concerned with the presentation I was making because I was hurting so badly inside that it didn't matter. Whether it was in the mall, in a store, or on the street--wherever. People tend to react oddly when you cry in their presence--some try to comfort--others move away quickly. Such open honesty is part of my makeup. for so long, my true feelings about the borg had to be suppressed and covered over by a sweet smile.

I love to study people as I go about my life. People are so very interesting. I watch them and listen to them. I strike up conversations everywhere, and people who appear to be shy, start talking like crazy, and others just look at you like your weird because you are trying to talk to them. I have always been quite comfortable talking to complete strangers, and feel able to speak on some level to most anyone in conversation. (Maybe some of that is early training by JW's for MS and service. If so, I'm grateful for having learned something beneficial from my experience with them.)

• sandy
    sandy

Yes looks can be deceiving.

My family used to always tell me I look "stuck up". Sometimes a supposedly “dirty look” I gave one of them would even offend them. LOL. I am the nicest, most caring person I know.

Sometimes people perceive my shy, quiet and reserved manner as me thinking I am better than them. But once they get to know me they have a completely different view of me.

Some of my closest friends past and present have said to me things like; I thought you were such a snob before I met you. My face is hard to read. I always look too serious. I work on smiling more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit