Talk on "Reaching Out"-Only What BOE Thinks Matters

by Simon Templar 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

For the “Living as Christians” section of the workbook, “Are you Reaching Out?” talk (15 min), the Bethelite gave this talk at the meeting. He totally departed from the subject matter which is the Watchtower of September 15, 2014, Pages 3-6. He was so far off the reservation, it wasn't funny. Here are a few highlights of what was said: 1) If any Brother asked why they haven’t been appointed, and wants to know if there is a problem or condition that exists, that Brother is too “presumptuous” and therefore, can’t be used. 2) No Brother should ask about this, but just wait on the body to act. If he isn't appointed, that means that the BOE feels that he isn't qualified. That's it. 3) Talent or skill doesn't matter for those appointed. It's what the BOE thinks and feels that matter. Nothing else.

The implied thought was that the “Sheep” need to accept this and get used to it. They (the publishers) can't expect any of the appointed men to perform up to what they think is appropriate. If they don't like it, too bad. Correct yourself.

My Wife has been active in the religion for 50 years. She is well studied and takes this religion seriously. After the meeting, she was furious. She said “Who does this man think he is to say these things to us, when they are not correct or in the Watchtower that is the subject of that part!” She ranted about him for a while. I was surprised. She spoke about the poor quality in recent years with almost any of the Elders and Servants and how this is harming the Congregation. Then she told me what the other Sisters thought of these people. I had no idea, not that I really care.

This morning my wife was still upset. She mentioned that “They lied to us. The end never came as promised. When I was a kid, my Mother told me I would die if the end came and I wasn't baptized”. She mentioned that “When I agreed to be a member of this religion, everything was different. The end of the world, the Brothers, the congregations, the doctrines. There isn't any love in the congregation anymore. Things have changed. No apologies about the changes or doctrinal reversals , but I am supposed to do what I am told and shut-up.”

She is hurt and P.O’d beyond belief. That one little 15 minute talk set her off big time. I had no idea she felt this way.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

^^^^ That talk from a Bethelite or other higher-up, right there ^^^ that's the kind of shit that wakes long-time members up. It takes being kicked while you're down, or finally insulting ones intelligence beyond repair, for that "light-bulb moment" when you realize you've had enough and are tired of eating the shit sandwich and told to like it.

Congrats. Your wife may just be waking up after her long, long sleep. Keep spoon-feeding her more info.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    Wow - you never know what straw finally breaks the camel's back. However, what speaker said is actually the truth. Some, if not many, BOEs get really annoyed if a "brother" asks what's holding them back. And, it really is all about what the BOE thinks/feels. I've seen people torpedoed for unbelievably silly things while others promoted with more serious deficiencies.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Time to start waking her up Simon
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Yup she could very easily wake up. You should of told her that it was also presumptions that Wt thinks they are the only ones who speak for God.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

First thing I'd probably do is say to her, "You don't even know the half of it yet." Then see where it goes.

Second thing I'd probably do is send a thank-you note to the Bethel speaker.

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds like a refreshingly honest talk.

Most of what happens in JW congregations (appointments, disfellowshippings, granting of "privileges", etc.) is decided solely on the personal whims of the men who have been conferred with "authority".

• sparky1
    sparky1

"Most of what happens in JW congregations ( appointments, disfellowshippings, granting of "privileges", etc.) is decided solely on the personal whims of the men who have been conferred with "authority". - sir82

SEE ANY SIMILARITIES?

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

If any Brother asked why they haven’t been appointed, and wants to know if there is a problem or condition that exists, that Brother is too “presumptuous” and therefore, can’t be used. 2) No Brother should ask about this, but just wait on the body to act.

The bethelite's statement is further evidence of how judgemental and pyramidal this organisation is. His statement is cold, unfeeling, distant from humanity. Light years away from the mind of Christ. He also seems to be deeply insecure in that he conveys a deep seated antipathy towards questioning / challenge.

I blogged about this reaching out item in another thread. The GB is quite mistaken that this item, its WT of 2014 and its earlier major work on reaching out (Nov 2011 WT) will lead to it's elder deficit being assuaged any. Rather, the bethelite's statement reveals the deep down conceit which pervades much of the leadership in the organisation. To the extent that many are repelled by the organisation's supercillious paradigm, well and good.

Their attempts at recruiting more for appointments as MS and elders will be undermined by the malexperiences of those in post and who seek to egress as a result.

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

“When I agreed to be a member of this religion, everything was different. The end of the world, the Brothers, the congregations, the doctrines. There isn't any love in the congregation anymore. Things have changed. No apologies about the changes or doctrinal reversals , but I am supposed to do what I am told and shut-up.”

It sounds like your mother has the same feelings my dear mother has. She has repeatedly said, "The religion I was baptized into no longer exists. If this religion had existed then I would never have joined."

It is sad though that she is so close to the end of her life that she doesn't dare leave now. Damned cruel JDubya's!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit