I have a favor to ask. I need to find a statement that was in one of the magazines, but I can't find it now. Can you help?

by AndersonsInfo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I have a favor to ask. I need some information found in a Watchtower that I can't seem to find in my library.

Today, the Watchtower teaches that the governing body is the faithful slave. At one time (maybe in the 1970s, 80s or 90s) the Watchtower actually published a comment about the notion that the faithful slave was comprised of prominent members of the Society (Bethel et al) and then it rejected the idea. I've read this paragraph myself so I know it's there in either a Watchtower or Awake! journal. But I can't find it now. Can someone help find this reference?

Thank you,

Barbara

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

Watchtower 1981 February 15 pp.17-19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible?

pg. 19 says...

OUR VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah's Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah's Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

Now that we're out you know how bizarre and cultish that sounds ?? This BS was simply started by Maria Russell tagging her husband with this line and perpetuated from Rutherford going forward to become a fabrication of immense proportion. Incredible, you can't make this stuff up, so sad that adults can actually act this way. Also makes me ill in a fashion that's hard to describe, like when you meet with and have to interact with patients from the psych. ward..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

And Geoffrey Jackson told the ARC that it would be presumptuous of them to claim they're God's channel of communication.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Really VI, did he say that ???

• sparky1
    sparky1

Barbara, Is this what you are looking for?:

YOUR WORD IS TRUTH

Is the Pope Gods Intermediary?

"There is such a governing body today, even as Jesus foretold, a "faithful and discreet slave", whom he has set over all his belongings." pg.28 final paragraph

AWAKE February 8, 1965 page 27-28
    (If you read the entire article I think that it alludes to the governing body being the faithful and discreet slave)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Finkelstein: Really VI, did he say that ???

Yes, I shitteth you not. Angus Stewart asked him but it seems that he did not have the documentation to contradict Jackson's damned lie.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    VI: And Geoffrey Jackson told the ARC that it would be presumptuous of them to claim they're God's channel of communication.

I remember that exchange as Jackson saying "that it would be presumptuous of them to claim they're God's only channel of communication"

He didn't deny it..he denied being the sole channel - which is what they really claim

introvert: Also makes me ill in a fashion that's hard to describe, like when you meet with and have to interact with patients from the psych. ward.

Me too. I have the same reaction. It is because the words and method of writing that the WTS uses are a "word salad" - they don't really make logical sense and reading the WT words is like listening to a schizophrenic ramble on and try to make an argument. You get lost in the process. Your brain becomes numb

I avoided reading their literature for years. It screws with a person's head trying to follow the maze they weave

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

sparky: YOUR WORD IS TRUTH

Is the Pope Gods Intermediary?
    "There is such a governing body today, even as Jesus foretold, a "faithful and discreet slave", whom he has set over all his belongings." pg.28 final paragraph
    AWAKE February 8, 1965 page 27-28

Yes. I remember that teaching.

I was always under the impression that the GB were declared the faithful and discrete slave back in the 60s. Good find

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

By 1959 it seems that the "governing body" and "the faithful and discreet slave" became synonymous. Check out the following 4 Watchtower quotations". (By the way, search your library CD with the two quoted expressions -- "governing body" "discreet slave".)

The following Watchtower deems the two as synonymous.

*** w59 6/15 p. 368 par. 2 Meeting Today’s Needs of the Sheep ***
    Sheep need to be fed, not only led. How are they being fed? "The faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics to give them their food at the proper time" certainly is making ample provision. The governing body of Jehovah’s visible organization supplies plenty of good food for all the sheep, including the overseers.

The following Watchtower implies that the "slave" "has a governing body".

*** w60 7/15 p. 438 par. 1 Staying Awake with the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" ***
    THE Biblical connections and the abundant array of Scriptural credentials of the "faithful and discreet slave" class have already been examined. This class was found to be the anointed witnesses of Jehovah operating today in all parts of the earth through their now seventy-six-year-old legal servant, the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. This "slave" class has a governing body rendering counsel and direction as prefigured by Elihu when he gave counsel to ancient Job.

The following Watchtower quotation equates "The Society" with the "discreet slave".

*** w61 3/1 p. 147 par. 13 The Congregation in the Time of the End ***
    . This development was completed by 1938 when congregations world-wide expressed their wish to be organized completely under the direction of "The Society," "the faithful and discreet slave" class, who would hereafter appoint all overseers and their assistants in the congregations and who would direct all study and preaching arrangements.

The following deems the two as synonymous.

*** w63 9/15 p. 575 Questions From Readers ***
    Even as Jehovah had a channel to serve as an authority or governing body in the days of the apostles and following Pentecost, A.D. 33, so today Jehovah God has a governing body, a "faithful and discreet slave" class, that oversees the work of the Christian witnesses of Jehovah in the New World society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit