umbertoecho re the ARC

by umbertoecho 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Hello to everyone.

I hope you are all well and sorting things out between yourselves. I have temporary internet access which is probably a good thing for now. I have been contacted by the ARC in a respectful and loving manner today.

You see. I realised that throughout my hearing, I ranted away, on and on and on.........afraid that I would be called a liar or have to give physical proof of the wrongs I had experienced in my childhood attachment to the society. The way I would describe these lovely people is..."loving and infinitely patient". I went away within days of giving testimony as I needed as much distance as I could afford. Upon my return, I mucked them around and around. I didn't turn up for appointments and found fantastic reasons for not doing so. Did they get angry? No.

They sent letters of support and encouragement, telling me that the next step was a formidable one and they would back me up on every level. Today I felt at my wits end and phoned them.

I asked them if this was all a waste of time. An exercise in the "gathering of information for the sake of information"

I told them I was afraid that it was all unreality and that if this was the case, then let us get to the bottom of it and cease the witch-hunt. Especially as I, for one, was in constant remorse for anything I may have said incorrectly. This was not considered a problem with the ARC as they have access to my medical records and court records. (Not that I was stealing or what ever. Rather, it was my father taking me to court to make me a ward of the state) Having clarified all of this and hence being reassured that I was a decent person throughout I was asked if I wanted to continue with legal aspect of it all. I hummed and haahed around, not wanting to commit. This is,very common with abuse survivors. They lack conviction whilst being convicted for crimes they did not perpetuate.

They (the ARC) don't want to push a person over the edge, but they do want a good witness to testify to the lack of concern, requisite legal obligation and such........of any child entrusted to them by a parent or group...

They want evidence of trustworthiness and pure motive for the existence of any social or religious group as a caveat for their existence, Sufficient to say, there has been minimal evidence of such motives and plenty of damning evidence to the contrary. ( A small dose of compassion and sorriness for what went wrong, may have been tremendously helpful to the investigative parties of ARC) But this was not to be. An honest, empathetic approach to this ugliness could have been so helpful in sorting out what needed to be done, within these so called 'groups' that are supposed to support the welfare and development of the minds and

bodies of young ones

I have agreed to go to court against the society and will be assisted with all aspects of my abuse and the chronology. It seems that even if a perpetrator is dead; the society he or she belonged to, is held accountable by virtue of their action or lack of action. I like Australian law

All the best to you all and I hope you maintain a certain faith in the Australian system

• smiddy
    smiddy

umbertoecho

You know you have the support of everyone here , you have made the decision to be on the ARC ,so with our support and the support of the ARC , go for it you have the possibility of making drastic changes to the JW`s attitude and policy`s of their response to child abuse .

Isn`t that something to be proud of ? If you had a say in that ?

You have gone this far , I know it is easy for me to say , but please continue on , you have been an inspiration to so many people here .

However it is your decision and we should respect whatever you decide to do .

smiddy

• Listener
    Listener

Great to hear from you Umbertoecho and that you've made a very big decision. Just coming to a decision can sometimes be the hardest step to take.

I am wondering if you feel that this is probably occurring at a 'better' time in your life? I am thinking that had this all taken place twenty years ago you may have been in a worse position to go forward with this.

I'm not exactly sure as to what aspects you feel this may be a witch hunt and where that comes from in your situation but I'd like to discuss it a little.

So much has become public knowledge and the media is milking this Commission for whatever they can, typical of them, but is it getting out of hand?

My husband has made very little unprompted comments about the hearings but after the media outrage regarding Cardinal Pell, he did. He wondered if this was appropriate for selected comments to be readily replayed in the media, without the full context and leaving him with a very damaged reputation. There's been a mob mentality and he wondered if it was appropriate for an RC to be set up and to allow this to happen and if they intend it to be this way then morally, what right do they have to enable people's actions to be judged by everyone without understanding all the circumstances. Has his reputation been damaged beyond repair on an unfair basis? I know it is very hard to have one iota of sympathy for him and possibly others that have had to face the commission to account for their behavior but as a society we need to be conscious of how this affects people in a fair and just manner. Apparently Andrew Bolt had a change of conscience within a very short period of 24 hours regarding Cardinal Pell, which just demonstrates the extremity of emotions that are involved. I just don't know myself but the fact remains that if Cardinal Pell knew what was going on and knew of the coverups it didn't move him to resign, rather, he readily accepted promotions knowing all this. Also, if people like him are in a position of authority then you've got to accept a level of responsibility and that brings us back to you.

Even though your perpetrator is not alive it has become an issue with the society and very rightly so. It becomes not about the perpetrator, rather it's about the society. There can be no witch hunt here because they must be responsible for their own policies and for whatever unfortunate damage this caused you. Taking it through a court procedure is the best opportunity available for them to be shown and proven that they have a level of accountability that they must answer to.

There is very little compassion and understanding from the society and why is this? If they show more then they are admitting liability, it will cost them both in money and respect for their authority. It's not game over for them because they still have time to apologize and attempt to make amends. It's taken years for the Catholic Church to get to the point that they are now (although more needs to be done). However, how have they gotton to that point? It certainly isn't from all this being hushed up, it's from court cases and public back lash.

You need to look after yourself as the number 1 priority and although you can achieve a great deal by taking this to court, if it all gets too much then no one will think any less of you. You've already achieved a great deal by talking to people at the RC and you've already given them a lot to work on and understand.

You've proved yourself to be a very decent person on here Umbertoecho and I wish you all the best.

• kairos
    kairos

Thank you for everything you have done.

Know you have my support and I applaud the courage you have to share your experiences with us.

The outcome of the process will improve and shape the future for the rights of children. This will only result in good.

• jhine
    jhine
    Hi Umbertoecho , firstly l would echo all of smiddy' s words and add that we are all proud of you for what you have already done . You have shown immense courage .
    You have to do what is right for you and if you feel that you can go no further on this emotional roller coaster everyone will understand and support that . As smiddy says the chance to make a difference in this world on such a grand scale is not given to every one añd should you chose to accept this mission ( sorry too much tele watching ) we àre behind you all the way .
    Either way you have shown yourself to be an overcomer , a victor , not a victim . You have faced the enemy and looked it squarely in the eye .Be proud .
    Jan
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    umbertoecho I can't thank you enough for being willing to stand up and help bring this religion to justice. Take care of yourself. Your work is very much appreciated.
  • talesin
    talesin

So proud of you for continuing this ordeal, and with such humility and courage. Thank you for being such an example to the WORLD. Here's a visual to remind you that not only the ARC supports you, but thousands of us, all over the globe. xx tal

• Sabin
    Sabin

Big Hug & even bigger hug for you. You should be proud of yourself, I am proud of you. WE are ALL proud of you.

• freddo
    freddo

Well done! Well done! To you and Candace Conti and those that put themselves through the gruelling processes to make this world a safer place. Just wonderful.

I wish I had your courage. You are an inspiration.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Phew umberto. Thanks for the update on your progress. I've been concerned lately wondering how you are.

smiddy 4hrs ago speaks for me also. I couldn't script my thoughs any better than he has done. I echo his sentiments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit