7 day conventions?

by HereIgo 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I can only remember clearly the ones from 1963 onward, the ones before then I simply endured and quickly forgot.

I was 13 in '63 and had my first proper "snogging" session with a girl up in the dark Stands after the Sessions had finished, I thought of her as "Hotlips" forever more.

'69 was memorable, involved a different girl of course, we got engaged eventually, but I broke it off when as my youngest puts it "Mum (Mrs Phizzy) muscled in ".

After that the length of Conventions got shorter and shorter, but to quote Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen, (not verbatim) " Of course, we 'ad it 'ard, tell that to the kids today, they won't believe a word of it".

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A thought had just occurred to me and one thing I do remember about the 7 day International assembly in 1969 was man finally landed on the moon in July 20 1969.

Watching that on TV was awesome and exciting.

• lancelink
    lancelink

As a teenager I attended an assembly in Billings Montana wit several friends, and here most everyone camped out. For showers we used the sheds where the farmers washed their animals. Entering those areas would remind me of the gas chambers from the Concentration camps.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As far as I can see from the cd rom.. 8 day marathons were held in 1958, 1963, and 1969. I have not checked earlier or later . Some venues may not have had all 8 days.

I was there in '63 and '69. Like others, I can recall camping in a big ex army marquee adjacent to Twickenham , London. For '69 we had Wembley and , as they said...utter chaos. A serious tragedy was only avoided due to the Witnesses' patience and tolerance.

We may not have had flash videos and phone apps. We did have speakers that knew how to put across an item. The dramas had come in by '69 and were much more meaningful for being live before you. ( Dates may blur but there is something to see when bros squelch in the mud in pouring rain , acting their hearts out) .

Today? "they don't know their born"

• NoviceLocs14
    NoviceLocs14

I vaguely remember the 3 1/2 day ones where they fed you sloppy joes and danish rolls. I think the last of those were in 1993 when I was around 8 (and they stopped feeding people lunch as well).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Holy shit, Batman! A lot of you people are O-L-D if you remember Yankee Stadium/Polo Grounds and all those week long marathons. In fairness, on most days there were no morning sessions as everyone (said they) went into Field Circus to invite locals suckers to the big event.

I specifically recall the year that the Aid Book was released as it was my first year in "Auditing" (Money Changers) and there was over 1/4 million dollars collected at the end of that day.

As late as the early 70s I recall going D2D soliciting for rooms for out-of-towners coming to the convention as there would be insufficient hotel rooms (and those who couldn't afford hotels).

Remember the frozen danish, Muff-N-Eggs. and making Hogies at 5am or 6am?

I do have the fond memory and good forture of meeting Mrs. Doc at one of those Dist Convs (when they were just 4 days). Both of us 300 miles from home (without parents) so I'd probably never have met her otherwise. That, my friends, was many, many moons ago! And, it's still the best thing I ever took home from a Convention.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

the may 15 1969 Watchtower lists the Assembly at Wembley July 29-Aug 3

I remember I was quite excited and wanted to get the new publications. A friend had been to the one in New York already.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I got a carton of "truth" books at pio rate. Blue Gold. Best investment I ever made, big mark-up. It was the only time that flogging books seemed worth while.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I attended the 8 day at the Rosebowl. Hot and miserable long days and nights. I was at the Dodger Stadium in 1969. Most miserable assembly of my life I carried around a 18 month old baby boy. I look back and think what a miserable thing to do to a baby. I didn't know any better.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Vancouver, B.C. Camped out nearly 80 miles away. Started early, ended after dark, then a long drive just to sleep for a few hours. I remember the big rumor was that singer Glen Campbell was supposedly baptized. Everyone barely containing their "joy" at someone famous getting dunked. Of course it was just that, a rumor.

Miserable a55 times for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit