How does Church Compare with Kingdom Hall?

by stevieb1 11 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Before I left the JW's at the start of last year, I had been to two churches, for funerals. A Catholic and a Protestant.

Since, I have been to a wide range of churches, including a variety of Baptist, Independants, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and charismatic churches. I've also been to conferences where up to 15 denominations attended. I loved the "Surfer's Church" that I went to in Florida - it was very casual, lively and professional. The teaching (from Matt.5, on "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth") was solid and well researched.

The style of worship varies quite a bit, especially in regards to music. Bands, choirs, even unaccompanied psalm singing.

I'm now pretty happy in nigh on any church. I like lively praise nights, but I also like the more contemplative service. As for "feeding" and doctrinal strengths, that varies too. I tend to bridle when I hear something that is highly speculative, especially any end-times stuff.

I would suggest that there are differences in perception about what each denominational title represents, from the comments I've seen on this site. I have to say that IMHO two churches bearing the same name can be COMPLETELY different. Therefore, to say that one has been to a Baptist church and not liked it, doesn't mean that you wouldn't like the one the other side of town.

I hate denominational conflicts (I prefer tolerance) and "religion for religion's sake", however I do recognise that "church" is a pretty effective way for people to find God. I just worry when people then continue to place their whole emphasis on this, above what they have found.

Just my 2p...

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I have found everyone's comments extremely interesting, and as has been pointed out, each church is unique to itself, and for that matter for how it is on that particular Sunday or whenever.

It seems, in this case, as in so many other, we all have a slightly different take and defiinition on "love".

GentlyFeral, thank you for you explanation. I think that personally I am someone who is very choosey about the use of the word "love" and perhaps if I substitute friendship in this case, I am more comfortable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit