How much is the Bethel allowance now? It used to be $14!

by Maryo 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maryo
    Maryo
    I am wondering how much the Bethel "allowance" is now? It used to be $14! Is it true they really sign a vow of proverty now?
  • fulano
    fulano
    Which country ?
  • Maryo
    Maryo
    United States. It used to be $14 a month years ago.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    In Canada its 150.00 dollars . I heard it from an exbethelite .
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

We know it's below minimum wage, $7.25 an hr. WOW ! Jehovah is cheap. I believe the

Bible states, "money is a protection". I guess a vow of poverty is not destitution in their eyes,

they do get three meals and bedding each day. In 1966 I received $64.00 a month in the Army.

• compound complex
    compound complex

In the early '70s my confreres and I received $14 a month, in addition to $6 travel allowance.

The majority of that cash went to buy subway tokens for all the meetings we attended, as well as Saturday and Sunday in service. It seems that we were out every night of the week, too. Meetings, service, shepherding, etc.

CC

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    compound complex...Any funds received from family members? How in the hell did you get by???
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Hi, James Mixon:

Thanks for your question.

My family was poor but scraped cash together to fly me from Brooklyn to San Francisco every summer. My better off non-JW g'parents helped. Otherwise, I don't know, other than my well-worn mantra, "Jehovah will provide."

I do recall, as mentioned on this forum once before, that I was asked to show a French brother around the city in my spare time (?!?!?!?!?) and used precious cash doing so. I wondered to myself, just before he left, "Where am I going to get $4 to get through the month?"

Well, as we bade each other a fond farewell on the platform, "Pierre" opened his wallet and remarked in French, "I won't be needing this anymore." He handed me four one-dollar bills.

Sounds corny now, but that was how I got by, over and over again!

Best.

CC

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Oh, coco, I'll bet you saw that as Jehovah providing?
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

I had no idea it was that bad, I had three nephews serve there and not a clue what they

were getting paid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit