Updates and fixes

by Simon 21 Replies latest forum announcements

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Thanks for your many efforts in improving this website!

Can we get an option to employ underlines?

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

LOL @ immutable. wonder how many get what that means :)

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Thanks for working with so big effort in userfriendly and economically cheap solution for the community, already you changed platform and wrote those fixing codes to make the machine run smoothly and secure the forum is a kind of unique gem. Im very curious what will come next.

Sometimes we may take the advancements as matter of course, because we see everywhere a rapid technical progress and sometimes I have the impression that the new functions appear by oneself. In detail it turns around that you create a piece of art that uses the best tools, and combine them to work very cheap, very fast, secure, without all that excess baggage that are made for business enterprises if I got it right.

• cofty
    cofty
    Can we get an option to employ underlines?

Ctrl+U

• Landy
    Landy

Top of my wish list is an easier way to quote (quote or multi quote button at the bottom of a post).

Also a simple one, when clicking a link to another site can it open in a new tab rather than navigate away from the site?

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Thanks cofty for the tip!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Outstanding, Simon. Thank you!

Eden

• Simon
    Simon
    How come we can't change the color of the text anymore?

Some people were going mental and would both quote and highlight everything. I think selected quoting is better than copying entire posts and highlighting odd parts and the restriction on formatting helps prevent the "oh my god, did a paint factory throw up?" type posts by people who think fonts and colors are like pokemon - gotta use 'em all.

It will probably return in more controlled form.

I have the impression that the new functions appear by oneself. In detail it turns around that you create a piece of art that uses the best tools, and combine them to work very cheap, very fast, secure, without all that excess baggage that are made for business enterprises if I got it right

Yes, technology is always changing and sometimes there are big, major cycles and other times smaller evolutions within it. Sometimes you can make incremental improvements but from time to time you need to build a new house on new foundations so there are more significant changes still to come but that takes more time.

It does amaze me how willing "enterprise" companies (and even startups) are to piss money away. I remember working at one place that was spending $6k+ a month on hosting and after a couple of months work I had it down to $50 per month with an improved service - faster performance, more stable and easier to test and manage (automated setup so you could create an exact copy for testing vs machines they were afraid to even reboot).

I just do that with this site - making things as efficient as possible means things run faster for people using it and helps with the sustainability equation.

immutable. wonder how many get what that means

LOL, I slipped that one in as a test. You passed :)

Top of my wish list is an easier way to quote (quote or multi quote button at the bottom of a post).

Yes, I want to make quoting as automatic as possible - just highlight the content of another post and have it added to the one you are authoring complete with "[whoever] said ..." plus avatar and link back to the source all neatly and consistently formatted.

Also a simple one, when clicking a link to another site can it open in a new tab rather than navigate away from the site?

I prefer not to do that as it's considered bad practice from a usability perspective. The reason being is that it imposes the behaviour on everyone instead of allowing the end user to configure it in their browser or to chose it on case-by-case basis at runtime (i.e. shift + click or context option on any link).

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@simon probably quoting and mentions would be my biggest want. However I'm not nearly as regular on here as others so don't do anything on my account :)

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Thanks for all of your hard work, Simon.

My wish is for some kind of notification system to tell me when there are any new comments to threads where I have posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit