Random thoughts on the Jubilee in the UK

by ballistic 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Saluting the flag was something not encountered very often here in the 1970s UK, in fact that kind of nationalism or patriotism was something I'd been warned about as a young boy, being brought up in the Jehovah's Witnesses from age 4, through meetings and the publications. At some point, I don't know when, I decided it was more American, whether rightly or wrongly.

But even so, there was a large black and white photo of our entire school in panoramic format right outside my classroom on the wall saluting the flag, and I think this was the 1977 25 year jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Now as a young person attending a fairly religious school in the 1970's, you were used to "making a stand" for things, letter in hand first day in a new class, and being ushered into one room or another to avoid religious assemblies and other xmas, and other seasonal celebrations.

One day the teachers, in their abundant wisdom, stood myself and a younger Witness in the corridor right outside the assembly hall where the children would filter past. Every second or third child that filtered past would ask, "why are you standing there?" To which we would just say a few words and tediously repeat to every child which asked.

But there was one thing that would really make my little head worried... the jubilee, the saluting of the flag. In fact, it didn't matter the 1977 jubilee had been and gone. I was still worried that a situation involving saluting the flag would be thrust upon me and I wouldn't know what to do or how to make a stand, or even how to explain it.

So, what I did was ask my mother every day before leaving for school, "mom, are they saluting the flag today?" and she would say "no, of course not," and that was fine, for a day, for a week, for a term, until one day, I forgot to ask her.

Really it's no wonder as an adult that I suffer from Anxiety and have struggled with stress one way or another over the years. That day, I would not forget that I had forgotten to ask my mother, would they salute the flag, and I was filled with dread, clenching my fists and biting my nails, just waiting for the clock to tick by, every second closer to home time when I could finally breath. But one day that wasn't before asking to go to the medical room, because I felt sick, and bent over that sick room toilet wrenching to try to make myself sick. Oh yes, I went home that day for sure, my face was red, I was sweaty and probably looked extremely worn down from all that well, real stress, and the effects of trying to be sick.

And everyday I would ask my mother again, and every day I saw that large panoramic picture on the wall on the way into class.

I'm pleased to say today, as I contextualise these events, although I can't completely shake the events completely out of my mind (us anxiety sufferers can have the habit of replaying painful memories) I do have two wonderful boys age 2 and 3 (nearly 4) every time I look at them or explain about the school they will go to, or nursery or what they have to look forward to, I am filled with that joy that brings tears to your eyes.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the stuff we had to do--or not do--all because the watchtower cult said so...and our parents bought it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Saluting the flag is an American thing that I never encountered, growing up in England. The issue was standing for the National Anthem. The grown up dubs would deliberately sit down and revel in the animosity they created.

As I grew up we tried to find out when it would be played at any event we attended and slip out beforehand. In later years the practice of playing it has largely stopped except at international sports events …

I felt for Witness kids during the Jubilee build up . I remember how hard it was at school when you are a child dealing with these things

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hi BluesBrother, I agree about the national anthem and experienced that in person. But with regard to saluting the flag, despite the large flag pole at the front of the school and the large black and white photograph picturing it, perhaps I should have stated, I never actually encountered the feared event of saluting the flag.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I never had any problems at school. I did not go into "Assembly" each morning until the end when the announcements were read out. I was the only JW but the Catholics did likewise and nobody bothered. We all sat in the library which was adjacent to the Main Hall.

Likewise at the end of a film at the cinema, as soon as "The End" came on screen there was a rush for the exits, where I lived I don't think there were many Royalists.

The only time I was really embarrassed was at my degree ceremony. We were all standing and as the National Anthem started I had to sit down. Later, probably in the 1980's there was a QFR and it said if you were already standing there was no need to sit.

George

• Simon
    Simon
    One day the teachers, in their abundant wisdom, stood myself and a younger Witness in the corridor right outside the assembly hall where the children would filter past.

One day? We did that every day in our school, in both junior and high school.

I remember one day a woodworking teacher came past and told the teacher "guarding" us that he needed us for a job. When we got to the woodworking room he told us he didn't really and we could just mess about - "has to be better than listening to that assembly crap eh lads?!". Top teacher.

Nothing about the flag ever came up that I can remember. I doubt any of the kids would know what to do, not just the JW ones. It just wasn't a thing.

I remember the Silver Jubilee though, I was in junior school at the time and we all got a commemorative coin. I wonder how many still exist and whether they are valued enough to buy a mars-bar, a packet of crisps and a can of pop? ... which is what I think I did with mine on the way home :)

• St George of England
    St George of England
    we all got a commemorative coin. I wonder how many still exist and whether they are valued enough to buy a mars-bar,

In 1953 we all got a Coronation mug and a New Testament. I still have mine but not worth much monetarily.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i can remember the 1953 coronation. There was a street party outside our house.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I remember the Silver Jubilee though, I was in junior school at the time and we all got a commemorative coin

I do remember the whole class finding a set of the decimal coins 1p - 50p in a wooden plinth. I thought at the time it was because we were all born in the year of decimalisation, but I'm not sure. There was one on each desk apart from mine.

Anyhow, I went to the teachers desk (picture Oliver Twist, "Please Sir can I have some more") and was told, that she didn't think I would want one because it's a celebration. And there was in fact, no coin set forth coming for me.

You might as well have just slapped me and said, "I'm gunna stitch you up boy!"

The teacher had never made alternate arrangements for my benefit with regard to celebrations before.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I never, ever remember having to salute a British flag as a kid. Nor ever hearing the National Anthem played anywhere I was (only for posh people's events!). They'd stopped playing the anthem in cinemas by the time I was going. Witness kids went to the library at assembly (never understood why, since it only avoided saying the Lord's prayer at the end spoken by a teacher - no denominational overtones). I tried to skip out, too, but my Dad wouldn't allow me.

I do vaguely remember being made to wave a flag when the Queen came to our town as a very small child (4??).

I also remember those silver Jubilee commemorative coins. My father kept ours, but they were lost (together with commemorative stamps for various things that Dad bought us) when our mum sold my alcoholic dad's home. We had the best ever silver Jubilee street party outside Dad's AND my best JW friends were there with their pioneer mum. I think some sensible JW mum's felt bad as the parties were literally outside their kids front doors, so they went .🤷‍♀️

The only thing I really missed out on due to neutrality was the ceremony our (Royal) University Hospital had for its graduates. This included standing for the anthem and curtseying to royal family member presenting the silver medal every graduate is given⚕️. It's a shame because not attending meant i missed out on individual and group photos in our new uniform - complete with antiquated frilly hats lol. These were dispensed with later that year, so photos of them are a nice piece of social history.

Our boys attended the Golden Jubilee street party we held but there was nothing around here for the recent jubilee😔I think white British people in London are so sensitive to anything remotely connected with empire, after the BLM protests, they didn't organise parties. That's all I can think of....???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit