114,000, Literal, or Symbolic?

by Wonderment 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton
    There is biblical support that the 144,000 and the Great Multitude are identical

VdH, no, the GM and the 12 tribes might be identical (wt at some place some time calls the 12 tribes the earthly class), but not the 144k,

The 144 000 are the elite that comes out of the Earthly class. Even today's "partakers" were just observers in the beginning.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Consistency is not a strong point of the wt, unless we are talking about their consistent prophecy failures.

Consider how they determine the 2520 years of the gentiles and arrive at 1914.

For the first part of the equation,to get 2520, they use 360 day years. They then magically apply that change to 365 day years for the time frame 607 to 1914.

It's like multiplying 2 lbs of potatoes by 3 kgs of potatoes and claiming you now have 6 pounds of potatoes.

Conversion is a thing in maths but the wt is hoping no one notices.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It is all symbolism (off course). The Babylonians used the 6/12 based number systems and the Jews took that over. 666 and 144 variants show up over and over in both old and New Testament.

144 is simply the prophesied replacement of 666, which we now know is to mean emperor Nero:

6+6+6= 18, 1+8= 9; 1+4+4 = 9.

Since Revelation was largely an anti-Nero pamphlet, we should read it in the sense that the Jews (144000) would be in the place of the Beast (Nero or 666). The writer puts in the warning that the reading is a puzzle and to be shrewd and clever.

• The word “Light” in Jewish gematria = 144
    • Plato and Aristotle taught that the cycle of change is 12x12 or 144 years
    • Holy Innocents massacred = 144,000 in the Coptic Christian tradition, referenced from Matthew
    • The length/breadth/height of New Jerusalem is 12,000 Furlongs (12,000 X 12 Tribes) or 144 cubits and the number repeatedly shows up in early Christian architecture.
    • 144,000 variants per genome.
    • 144,000 total lotus petals of the 7 main chakras in Hindu/Eastern religious/spiritual systems.
    • There are 1,440 minutes in a day.
    • The 6 days of creation (144 hours).
  • Riley
    Riley

The way I have had it explained to me was the book of revelation has a pattern.

John would hear something - Old Testament Imagery

John would see something - New Testament Imagery

The premise is Jesus defeated his enemies by dying for them.

John hears the calling of the 144,00- Old Testament military census from the book numbers.

John sees a great crowd no one could number - Gods final convent is open to all those who believe.

It doesn't really matter much to me anyway. Eschatology is the playground of cults and false religions anyway.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I like this comment by David Chilton brought up by Vanderhoven7 in one of his posts here:

David Chilton, in his commentary on Revelation entitled, "Days of Vengeance" says:

The tidy number 144,000 is obviously symbolic: twelve (the number of Israel) squared, then multiplied by 1000 (ten and its multiples symbolizing many; cf. Deut. 1:11; Ps.50:10; 68:17; 84:10; 90:4). St. John pictures for us the ideal Israel, Israel as it was meant to be, in all its perfection, symmetry, and completeness." (p.206)

I don't think this information alone "proves" that the 144,000 number is symbolic, however, it is incisive.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Unless it tells you otherwise, ALL of the bible is literal

Rubbish ! I suggest some entry into bible/ theological colleges is called for before making such rash assertions.

• waton
    waton
    The ideal Israel

note that in Rev 7, both Israel and the 144000 are contrasted. The total membership of the 12 tribes is indeterminate. the number of those sealed out of it, is precise, and limited. the angels are counting.

until the last one is found. literally.

It makes the New Jerusalem 144001.

• Blotty
    Blotty
    @ozziepost - thats not nessacary, all one must do is read the bible, while not always explicit, it is heavily context dependant - The need to go to bible and theological collages for something like is really not needed (This is an opinion yours may well differ)
  • lriddle80
    lriddle80

Well, in revelation it says John "heard" a number 144000 (Jews) and when he "looked' he saw a great crowd of all nations people tongues (all believers)

So, what I think is that in the beginning salvation came through Jews, but now it's open to all, through Jesus.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Amen Iriddle80

That is the hearing, then seeing pattern found throughout Revelation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit