Ok, for all of you who use word and excel, I need your help

by Jesika 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesika
    Jesika

I went to a temp agency today, and I failed word and excel testing. The woman said if I get my computer skills up she could find me a job alot sooner.

My boyfriend has been teaching me, he works with computers at his job. Thing is, he uses it for finding bugs in computer games.

What I want to know is, in office work, what do you use the most? Like what functions should I focus on?

I have never used word or excel, but I am learning a little. I had my first session just minutes ago. There are sooooooooooo many functions, I would like to know from those of you who use it on a daily basis at work, what should I learn REALLY well?

I really need an ABC 123 explaination here. I am not very computer savy at all. I am still learning the functions in email .

So, when you tell me what you use, can you also tell me why you use it?

Thanx in advance!

Jes

• Nomad Soul
    Nomad Soul

Buying a book will help. It cannot be explained, only practice will help you. Buy the office package, like PowerPoint, Word, etc...... Play around with it, read the book that comes with it. :)

• Simon
    Simon

Word and Excel ... why I use them? They are the de-facto standard in Word Processing and Spreadsheet.

I don't think it's possible to tell you which bits to learn ... everyone only uses 20% of the functionality but it's a different 20% !

The best thing to do is spend a while working through them with a decent book or CBT.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I have 2 manuals, 600 pages each, for Word and Excel, that I'd be glad to send you for a mere $99.99 each (excluding shipping and handling).

For Excel, I really like the Auto-Filter function, as well as the Chart Wizard.

For Word, I really like that I can finally get rid of that pesky little Paper-Clip idiot. LOL

Craig

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

At the book store or library, look for the thin books. They often say it quickly and get to the point. Unless you intend to marry the software, the big books go on and on with a lot one will not care about or would need to know.

Also, at the library go to the children's book section and try to find one on Word for example. Children's books that have technology are really great for adult start-up learning.

Now, go to monster.com and enter in a key word and about Word or Excel, and then view what the job description says. Will give you idea of the talk.

tp

• Valis
    Valis

Jesika...depending on which version of Word and Excel you have to practice on I could probably hook you up w/a couple good text books..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Jes, the Video Professor is CD software that will walk you through each program, on your computer. Rather than just a book, it will have you do exercises:

Word is critical. Everyone, excepting the legal world here in middle America, uses it. Knowing how to set up paragraphs, cut and paste, correct, etc. is critical.

Excel is for just about everything from your budget to creating advanced economic spreadsheets. I have also used it to create labels for mailings.

These two programs are tested for at everyplace I have worked. Plus a typing test.

Can you type? You need to type about 45 words per minute to get your foot in the door. With all the layoffs, temp agencies, (at least here in Columbus, OH) are desperate.

• Matty
    Matty
    Everyone, excepting the legal world here in middle America, uses it.

It's the same over here in Britain. Everybody tends to use Microsoft (spits) Word except the legal profession who always use Corel Wordperfect.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Jesika: I taught myself all my computer skills , when I started in the early 90's I couldn't even turn on the computer on or reboot LOL I have worked as a temp and used various features in each job. I think they have an Excel for dummies and Word for dummies.(no insult intended) I find they have the basic information in user friendly information. You can do it just play with the program and the help feature. Word is a breeze and Excel I've used alot. best of luck

• JeffT
    JeffT

I use both programs A LOT. The "For Dummies" books are very good. My wife bought the video professor programs because I was driving her nuts trying to teach her stuff. I think they are very good. If money is short trying prowling around some used book stores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit