New BOE letter: Re: Survey on Use of Printed Publications

by pixel 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    (I actually had a fear before signing up that this website was secretly run by the society to root out doubters and undercover apostates. I'm such a moron.)

You weren't too far off-base there - the Cult Awareness Network (CAN) was an anti-cult organization until members of Scientology successfully sued them, drove them to bankruptcy, then bought them.  Now the website appears to be an anti-cult organization but they use it to recruit people who are leaving other cults and to report people who have begun to investigate their cult.  I wouldn't put it past the WTS to eventually try the same trick.

A printing company that doesn't print anything.

A real-estate development company mascaraing as a printing company disguised as a religion.

I guess I'll state that my wife and I both prefer hard-copies, then we'll see how many extras I can take and trash.  

• wifibandit
    wifibandit
    PDF?
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute
    Check both. That way you can trash the printed form and cost them the small fee for the download. At least that is what I was informed. Each download costs a small amount.
  • Simon
    Simon

The cost of a download is negligible unless it's for a very very large file. For a PDF that's hosted on a Content Delivery Network you'd have to download it millions of times to even rack up a dollar so I wouldn't bother.

Although downloading it and deleting it could be cathartic.. 

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My goodness. The amount of energy it will take the guy asking everyone is ridiculous for the amount of money they will save on printing their little "schedule". Seriously, what are they? 2 pages? And the conventions keep getting shorter-maybe not even that.

They could merely announce the option and guess on the high side because it is going to cost some guy a lot more of his TIME than the $2-5 bucks it takes to print ALL of the congregations programs. You know many will totally love the electronic. They can count on it and guilt people out about it without making some guy ask 30 heads of households stupid questions.

That it has come to this (electronic programs) is not a surprise, but that they are making it into a make work chore for some overburdened secretary already is obnoxious. To save at most-$5 per congregation-which will donate probably a couple of thousand directly as well as subsidizing their hotel rooms and travel expenses generally throughout the year by staying in their assigned hotel 'choices'.  Guess! If you get it wrong it won't be a tragedy. Same crap as last year.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    @jwdaughter. They are talking about all the releases not just the printed programme. 
  • fulano
    fulano
    Paper or electronic....I don't care as long as the subliminal images are the same.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I finally found this! I don't know where the original thread went, but we have all predicted that the WTBTS will go paperless, while simultaneously passing the cost to JWs.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/268029/radical-direction-wts-speculation-thread?page=3

a year ago

My prediction from another thread..

Have you guys read the WT magazines that devote whole articles to giving money to the WTBT$!? I don't think it will happen soon(tm), but it could in the future. They could get rid of EVERYTHING accept Warwick and 1 Printing facility and survive. They can do whatever they want! Think about this possible day in field service... dreamy music...dissolving...

Husband: Good Morning capable wife! ( smooch, smooch, a slight pat on her oversized bottom ) I really enjoyed our approved sexual relations last evening. It was so refreshing, and in it's proper place.

Wife: Yes Lord. I too enjoyed our Governing Body approved sexual relations within the bond of the marital arrangement. ( doe-eyed )

H: Now, now, none of that this morning. It's our day that we set aside for field service. Where is the Theocratic Laptop?

W: My Lord, it is in public view of the entire household as you well know.

H: Ahhh, so it is. Hmmm. Let's see...yes. JW.ORG!! Ha!! Literature,....new..err..umm.dowloads. Ahah! Here we go wife of my youth! I found the new tractazines, ready to be printed and folded for our day that we set aside for field service!

W: What a provision from Jehovah! The Faithful Slave is so loving! They truly provide food at the proper time. They are also very aware of the modern world in which we live. See Lord, how they have made the provision for us to print our own literature from home for our personal ministry that we engage in of our own free will, without any legal ties to the WTBTS!! Jehovah provides..

H: He certainly does my charming moutain goat. ( getting frisky..)

W: My LORD!! Remember that it is our day that we set aside for field service! ( smiling..)

H: Yes my beautiful Hind, it's just that sometimes I get so sexually exited when I am with you. I know that is wrong on our day that we set aside for field service. Please forgive me. Let's call Brother Zealous later. We need an encouraging visit to curb our sexual appetites. Sweetie, is breakfast almost ready. You know I have a substantial appetite the morning after our approved love-making.

W: Forgive me Lord. I try to be a capable wife, but..but..( tears begin to fall as she turns away)

H: ( puzzled ) What can be the matter my tower-breasted love?! What is upsetting you so on the day that we set aside for field service?

W: Well..( stiffling a sob ) With the new laptop, printer, and ink that we purchased, along with our weekly offering to Jehovah via PAYPAL, we did not have enough money left over for groceries. With so many of our Brothers in the Janitorial field, the job market is saturated. I know you wash windows on the side, but we are just a bit short on funds. My Ebay head-covering business has not fared well either.

H: .....WHAT?

W: Well, we filled out our application for Special Full-time Minister of personal ministries not affiliated legally with the WTBTS application last month. We vowed to contribute towards the " Special Fund for the maintenance of the JW.ORG virtual printery." How else could we have a website that allows us to print our current literature to print off ourselves at our own expense, on the day that we set aside for feild service? Or our Theocratic laptop and printer, linked to JW.ORG 24/7?

H: WTH!!! I (*^)%^%@!!! Those M%(%@#)(?!!! Horse S%$@, Monkey $&^%%@!! I'll Kill those &$@)(*!! AHHHHHHRERRGGG!!!!! Oh!, Oh!..I am so sorry! Oh my word!! I don't know what came over me.. Forgive me, please. It was hunger, a weakness of the flesh.. Oh dear GB! Please forgive me... ( head hanging with shame..)

W: It's alright dear. I am hungry too. Sister Meek just told me an encouraging anecdote. When they were hungry, they did NOT forsake their day set aside for field service! They went anyway. Brother Meek could not find his approved GB issued service binder, so he used his older bag....

H: ( interrupting ) Thank goodness the GB made the provision of using an older bag in emergencies..

W: ( annoyed ) Ahhh... Yes! Thank the GB! So Brother Meek finds his service bag from 1986 in the garage! Guess what else!

H: What?!?

W: He found an entire roll of food tickets!! Remember the ones we would use for hogies and danishes and OJ?

H: I liked mine slushy!

W: SHUT UP, ROGER!! I am telling a %^(!@$ story!! SHUT UP!!!!

H: please continue...

W: Jesus....ANYWAYS, like I was saying... They found some food tickets and they did not go hungry that day. Jehovah blinded the minds of the worldy cashiers at the supermarket. They thought the tickets were food stamps! Brother and Sister Meek were able to eat breakfast! All because they did not forsake the day that they set aside for field service!

H: GB, be praised!!! What an uplifting anecdotal experience upon which I will base my future decisions!! Wake the children! Start the Kingdom Melodies! It's time to print and fold!!!

W: YAY!!! ( clapping )

H: WT*!#%$#%!!!! WE ARE OUT OF INK!!!!!!!!!

To be continued.......

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG
    Sorry, double-post! 
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The increased use of electronic publica- tions can result in substantial savings for the organization.

Obviously, the rank-and-file aren't part of that "organization." My elderly parents have spent hundreds of dollars on electronic devices and have to pay expensive monthly Internet access fees. They don't use these things for anything other than WT stuff... and they rarely use them because they just aren't tech savvy. Where they might have spent just a few dollars for printed copies, they are now in the range of hundreds of dollars. And the electronic devices will have to be updated with replacements long before they get close to breaking even.

So, this is only savings for the corporation.

And of course we've already seen that WT isn't saying, "we're passing the savings on to you!" Oh no! Now they're saying, "We need MORE money to pay for construction projects." Okay, so save more money by just broadcasting the prerecorded meetings on the web, sell the buildings, and give every JW a rebate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit