EMDR Therapy Anyone?

by Brian J 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Brian J
    Brian J

Two+ months into marital counseling for my wife (PIMI) and I (PIMO). Wife after decades of marriage decides for THE FIRST TIME to bring up separation due to, drum-roll please.....

Absolute endangerment of spiritual life. A spouse may constantly try to make it impossible for the mate to pursue true worship or may even try to force that mate to break God’s commands in some way. In such a case, the threatened mate would have to decide whether the only way to “obey God as ruler rather than men” is to obtain a legal separation.​—Acts 5:29.

Does this make me angry? Yes. Not physically violent, not abusive emotionally. Internal anger that does not allow me to apparently understand the concept of her being in a cult and me not being in one and the two of us completely being able to co-exist with a normal measure of daily happiness.

The therapist recommended EMDR therapy. Wife has promptly made me an appointment.

Has anyone personally experienced this type of therapy?

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Brian J, I'm so sorry your wife is using this flimsy excuse to break up your marriage.

To answer your question, I tried EMDR for three sessions, and the therapist decided she couldn't help me, because I didn't feel safe in my own body. She recommended another therapy. What would you like to know?

My question for you is why is the therapist recommending EMDR for you? This therapy is used to work with trauma. You didn't mention that in your post.

Diane

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Wait, she's bringing up separation for bullshit reasons and YOU are ordered to therapy? Am I missing something?

I thought EMDR was about helping to bring back old trauma and to rewire the brain's response. I've never done it but it's talked about on episodes of The Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast that I like.

So when are you setting an appointment for your wife to meet with Steve Hassan?

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I can't see how you not believing the same as her, places her in absolute spiritual danger. You have not stopped her from living her life as a JW.

Could it be that she IS starting to see your point of view and finds it scary and her flight response has kicked in?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I presume you both decided to see a therapist and he /she suggested EMDR as Sail Away points out this therapy is used to work with people with trauma ? So is it you or your wife that is suffering with trauma? If I may ask ?

Has she made an appointment for herself also ?

As Sail Away says your wife is using a flimsy excuse to break up your marriage .

And Jehovah`s Witnesses claim they don`t break up marriages ? Bullshit they do so simply for religious differences.

Can you imagine the world in general becoming aware that JW`s break up marriages simply because of religious differences ?

Probably unheard of in mainstream Catholic and protestant religions as an excuse for breaking up marriages.

My thoughts are with you Brian J

Take care.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

In what way does your wife feel "spiritually endangered?" Have you informed her of some of the WTBTS's "inconvenient truths?" Such information would scare her!

Ask your wife if her cult has removed this scripture from their Revised New World Translation -

1 Corinthians 7:13........if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is agreeable to staying with her, let her not leave her husband.

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

If she points to the Bible as her ultimate authority, then just show her 1 Corinthians 7:13 - as The Fall Guy suggested. Otherwise i can only extend my deepest sympathies - i am only nineteen, so i do not have that much experience with such matters. I do however know how it is to loose ones family, and even though they are still pimi, it breaks my heart almost daily not being able to have a "normal" relationship with them. Keep fighting, as long as possible.

Best regards

WorldCitizen

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Has anyone personally experienced this type of therapy?

Not me personally. I have a friend who has. Make sure that the person administering is a reputable mental health professional. Also, it's wise to get e second opinion.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Be cautious what you say in joint marriage counseling as it may be allowable to be subpoenaed for court.

• tiki
    tiki

Sounds bizarre to me...can she articulate why she feels you are making her religious choices difficult to pursue? Or how you are damaging her spirituality? We don't know what or how the two of you interact...but I would think straight talking it out with a trained professional would be most appropriate...not some other sort...unless there is a traumatic event acting as a catalyst here....whatever...good luck sorting it all out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit