The WTBTS and Incipient Creature Worship: Are the Anointed Now Demigods?

by Room 215 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

I'm prompted to ask this question as I ponder the troubling picture found on Page 260 of my wife's Isaiah Volume Two book. As Farkel noted in a previous thread related to this illustration, there's nothing inadvertant about anything depicted in their literature; illustrations such as these are calculated and group-approved for the imagery and message they convey. As those of you with access to the book in question are aware, staring back at the reader are four cadaverous faces of recognizable members of the Governing body surmounting an array of smaller portraits of a non-descript multi-ethnic and varied age assemblage of ``other sheep."

Based on the adulation they receive whenever they travel amongst the rank and file, the GB and other high-ranking WTBTS officials must realize that in all too many -- indeed if not most -- cases, the regard in which they're held approaches and sometimes amounts to veneration. Yet does anyone ever recall seeing any published statement in the Watchtower, similar to the ones issued by Peter in Acts and the Angel in Revelation, cautioning their groupies in the hinterlands ``Do not Do That!; i.e. something to the effect that ``while we appreciate your support, be careful not to temper your reactions, as it could lead to idolatry?" I can't recall any.

• metatron
    metatron

Creature Worship? Of course! Why does everyone in any congregation put on such an appearance of zeal and righteousness

during every Circuit Overseer's visit? Why does a rambling Carey Barber get applause whenever he shakes his cane on stage?

metatron

• azaria
    azaria

I’m very curious. How does one know if he is of the annointed class? The whole Memorial thing really puzzles me. Why does everyone go to the Memorial and then not partake? Why not just have the Memorial for the annointed class and the rest can stay home. On one of the JW sites (Pure Language) someone wanted to know how many people attended at their congregation and how many partook. Very rarely did someone partake. One person mentioned that over 500 people attended and only1 person partook. I do think that it can really go to somebody’s head if they (delusionally) believe that they are of the annointed class.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Annointed or not has little to do with the worship granted to those 'higher' in the org. It happens at all levels. In the congos, the elders are 'worshipped' (although not very much a lot of times! ). But even more so, C.O.'s, D.O.'s, bethelites, and missionaries are all fawned over whenever they visit local congos. Of course, at the top of the dung heap is the Gov Body, a group of old idiots that probably couldn't even hold down a Wal Mart greeters job if they had to, yet they control the fate of 6 million people, and practically have their *%&$'s sucked wherever they go.

Creature Worship? You BET!

• Maverick
    Maverick

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses step before the Throne of God and proclaim they have His ear! They have usurped Jesus as mankinds meditor and blessed themselves as the RF's only true hope! They are mean, petty, spiteful and dishonest, all the while calling what they do love! The gods of the ancients could take lessons from this evil bunch! Maverick

• Francois
    Francois

Of course. I don't know about the anointed, but the GB have definitely taken on the aura and fact of demigods. Hell, I know some elders who only refer to themselves as "glorious ones" and act like you're supposed to kiss their ring. "Servants" my ass.

francois

• minimus
    minimus

The elders are "glorious ones" and the anointed are "holy ones". The Governing Body is the spokesman for the "faithful and discreet slave". Elders might be told at school to watch their timing in talks and prayers. The GB can ignore their own counsel, go way overtime and then recieve a standing ovation. The GB are the bosses of all Witnesses in the world. They've given up everything to feed us spiritual food....But of course we don't worship them.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm not taking issue with any of the claims or propositions here, but I recall the post by "Smiles" back in January 2003 (found here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/44711/1.ashx)

Watchtower 1991 March 15, page 22. "Who Really Have a Heavenly Calling"

" Professing to have a heavenly calling does not bring a person special revelations. God has a channel of communication through which he provides spiritual food for his earthly organization. (Matthew 24:45-47) So nobody should think that being an anointed Christian gives him wisdom superior to that of the "great crowd" with the earthly hope. (Revelation 7:9) Spirit anointing is not indicated by proficiency in witnessing, answering Scriptural questions, or giving Bible talks, for Christians with the earthly hope also do very well in these respects."

As for Azaria's question aboout HOW a person "knows" they have the heavenly calling, the answer involves the supernatural, metaphysical and occult (hidden), as indicated in Romans 8:15-17 "For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: "Abba, Father!" The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God's children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together." The JWs always believed that this was a personal and private experience, but it was expected that a real member of the annointed would demonstrate the "fruit of the spirit," behaving as the Bible tells us a Christian ought to behave. Posts by "Amazing" describe how one non-annointed circuit servant dared to test Amazing's claim to being of the annointed, and the two-part "test" that the circuit servant imposed - a test that Amazing passed, by the way.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Here's a side question.

The WTS teaches that humans are physical, with no spiritual component. What then, did Paul mean when he wrote to the Romans that "The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit"?

It has been a long time since I was in a Kingdom Hall, and I cannot recall how they would wiggle around that.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

I think the last wiggle on that topic was that humans are composed of a physical body and animated by the spirit (the breath of life). Upon death one's spirit is in God's memory while the physical body is in the grave. Haven't heard if they've changed this interpretation yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit