Easter & Charlton Heston

by Dawn 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

DJ - that's interesting about the sheep giving birth in December. I never knew that.

I still believed that Jesus was born sometime in the fall - but taking a step back I have to be honest and recognize that it's because that's what I was told all my life - - so once again, I need to clear out the clutter and do my own research.

Amazing just how much junk I'm finding in my old beliefs.

• blondie
    blondie

When Jesus was really born is based on the scriptures regarding his age and birth in relation to John the Baptist's birth and the timing of John the Baptist's father Zechariah's scheduled service in the temple.

I thought this non-JW site was helpful.

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/sukkoth.htm

So, if you have followed the above reasoning, based on the scriptural evidence, a case can apparently be made that Jesus Christ was born on the 15th day of the month of Tishri, on the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles, which corresponds to the September - October timeframe of our present calendar!

• Dawn
    Dawn

Blondie - thanks!! I printed out that page for future reference.

• DJ
    DJ
    Now working from the information about John's conception late in the third month, Sivan, and advancing six months, we arrive late in the 9th month of Kislev (Nov-Dec) for the time frame for the conception of Jesus. It is notable here that the first day of the Jewish festival of Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, is celebrated on the 25th day of Kislev, and Jesus is called the light of the world (John 8:12, 9:5, 12:46). This does not appear to be a mere coincidence. In the book of John, Hanukkah is called the feast of dedication (John 10:22). Hanukkah is an eight day festival, celebrating the relighting of the menorah in the rededicated Temple, which according to the story, stayed lit miraculously for eight days on only one day's supply of oil.

Blondie...thanks for the site. If you consider that life begins at conception, then IT IS the day of our Lords' birth in essence. Instead, the watchtower chooses not to teach that.. but instead they dwell upon the pagans and the winter festival. Wow.......look at what December 25th could very well have been! This IS why He fulfills the Festival of Lights! They cannot argue this TRUTH, it perfectly coincides with their Sept.- Oct. birth belief. WOW. "Let each be fully convinced in his own mind" referring to holding one day as above another has just become even more powerful of a verse....hasn't it? This is a major to me! Anyone else?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Isn't it funny how I never knew this stuff as a JW? You would think with all the studying we did we'd know more.......

Dawn, we were taught this at the KH. Maybe you were in the bathroom at the time?

When Jesus was really born is based on the scriptures regarding his age and birth in relation to John the Baptist's birth and the timing of John the Baptist's father Zechariah's scheduled service in the temple.

Blondie,

That's cool info. One of my buds, who is into astrology, says that Jesus was born in Oct under the sign of Libra to bring the balance back. Supposedly Libra is the sign of scales for baIance and justice. She is one of the Christians that believes that a perfect sacrifice was required to compensate for the loss of perfection through Adam.

As stated in a previous post, I don't look at Christ's cruxifiction in that light. Still, it was interesting to hear her ideas.

Robyn

• heathen
    heathen

The 10 commandments is one of my all time favorite flicks . I thought charlton heston and Yule Brynner ( check for spelling ) were just great . If I had to pick one movie that was the best flick made I would chose that one.

After thought--- I thought the roman catholic church picked Dec.25 as the celebration of christs birth because it coincides with the feast of saturnalia and the birth of the sun god .

• DJ
    DJ
    After thought--- I thought the roman catholic church picked Dec.25 as the celebration of christs birth because it coincides with the feast of saturnalia and the birth of the sun god

Yes, Heathen...were were taught that. The question is, who taught us that? In light (pun intended) of the information on the link that Blondie supplied...it makes one wonder, doesn't it? Perhaps we never asked the Catholics how they arived at that date......

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

And Lily Munster plays Moses' wife...

Charlton Heston/The Ten Commandments: Guns & Moses

• Robdar
    Robdar

Charlton Heston/The Ten Commandments: Guns & Moses

Tres,

That was very funny!

• DJ
    DJ

Blondie and Dawn......

Please reply to my posts. I'd like to know what you think. I'm so angry for being misled about that TOOOO. Instead of the watchtower focusing on the amazing way that God has had his Son fulfill Jewish Festivals by giving us a new reasons to celebrate during those times....they taught us to hate those days! ie: Was Passover, now it is time known as "Easter" or Resurrection Sunday and it was....Festival of Lights..now Christmas. I wonder if All of the Jewish holidays had their fulfillment by Jesus? They probably did. Simply because of the fact that a lot of pagan influences have entered into these 'new' holy days such as easter rabbits and eggs etc..should NOT mean that we should disregard the beauty of those seasons and precious gifts given to us as Christians. Why wouldn't the jws want the real meaning of these days to be shown instead of telling us how pagan they are? This is sick. I always thought it was odd how they just skip over the resurrection day and choose not to celebrate it and call it pagan. What would be wrong with honoring those beautiful days in a Godly way? What is with them? Why wouldn't they teach us the truth about Jesus' conception and how it coincides with the Festival of Lights (Hanukah) and our Christmas? They know, I'm sure. They chose to misrepresent the truth instead. I am sooooo freeee. I thank my God and Savior for revealing His truths here to us. love, dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit