slimboyfat joins the Church of Scotland

by slimboyfat 28 Replies latest members politics

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    try the wee frees and let us know about them!

Hah good idea! If I'm open to requests, are there any other suggestions?

• cofty
    cofty
    Church of Scotland is, I believe Unitarian

No it really isn't. There is a spectrum of Reformed theology and church governance. Presbyterians Vs Episcopalians. All of it is trinitarian. The United Free Church of Scotland - the "Wee Frees" - are at the far end of Calvinist, Reformed, everything-that-is-not-prohibited-is-compulsory, extremism.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Actually it's the Free Church of Scotland that are called The Wee Frees.

The United Free Church and the Free Presbyterian Church are other denominations.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Here's a wee diagram.

I especially like the irony of the group who call themselves the "United Free Church".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Free_Church_of_Scotland#/media/File%3AChurches_of_Scotland_timeline.png

• cofty
    cofty

The Free Church probably insist that the United Frees are damned heretics.

It's all bollocks.

• cofty
    cofty

There is a family tree of Scottish churches in the National Museum. So many groups who all thought they were closer to the true church than all the others. Most of them lost to history.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Another point to lostandfound, the Church of England is the established church in England, but the Church of Scotland does not have the same status in Scotland. It is called a "national church" rather than a state church, and it is independent of the state. The queen is not the head of the Church of Scotland as she is the head of the Church of England.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I loved learning about the history of the free churches when I studied history. Especially the Disruption of 1843.

Thomas Chalmers famous address to the General Assmebly:

we quit a vitiated Establishment, but would rejoice in returning to a pure one.

They sure take their religion seriously these folk.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

SBF

thanks for the corrections, amazing what we learnt at school in England was so one sided over many things.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

SBF

I have been reading what is on web about CofS and the Great Disruption, following the meddling of the state in church matters. Internet stuff quite limited, can I ask you could you recomed any printed material that would help me correct gaps left by strict Anglican upbringing and Anglican view of CofS, particular around the 1843 period.

Incidentally on CofS website is a link to the property they have for sale, quite n extensive portfolio. Seems that the need for ministers houses much reduced. Same in CoE , congregations pay a "parish share" to have a minister very occasionally, so less need for vicarages and eventually churches.

Thanks in advance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit