Severe anxiety

by MrHappy 25 Replies latest members private

• Giordano
    Giordano

I don't have the full sense of why she wants two Elders to meet with you. Does it mean a great deal to her? Is she hopeful these two masters of the mundane are going to turn you around and light up your spiritual life?

You have been out for 13 years. I assume you have just stopped associating...... meeting wise or in any other manner. So there seems to be no reason to submit to a visit and any questioning.

If she attends the meetings regularly, goes to an assembly etc. That would indicate that you are respecting her freedom of religion. She should try to understand and respect your freedom From religion.

I get anxious about a lot of things nothing re the JW's.

At my advanced age I have learned one of life's lessons when the shit hits the fan the first thing you do is unplug the fan.

The consensus from those who responded is pretty much......... shut it down.

• steve2
    steve2

Did your "loving" and "supportive" wife ask you if it was okay that she asks the elders over to see you both? Did she say what her purpose in doing so is? I suspect she has observed and/or heard you expressing your anxiety and has become worried about you - and is doing what her religion expects her to do - without asking you. This is not a religion that is big on informed consent.

You for your part need to address your anxiety "disorder" - preferably through a licensed therapist. Your anxiety may have been precipitated by your desire to no longer be a JW but your continued ambivalence over the religion. It is not at all unusual for people who leave high-control groups to have all manner of issues that overwhelm them.

Please take responsibility for your life and your mental health. If you do not take personal responsibility, others - including your wife - will take your suffering as an opportunity to step in and "bring you back" to the very religion you have tried so hard to get away from.

Ever heard of the Stockholm syndrome"? Or "learned helplessness"?

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

If you are suffering anxiety now, meeting with a couple of elders with no credentials in mental illness/conditions will only make it worse.

Seek professional help and thank your wife for her loving concern but ask her to cancel the meeting. If not, you could just be sure to be out when they come.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

just be out that night.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I am experiencing a period of severe anxiety and possible a midlife crisis.

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering this way. I know how awful it is to deal with debilitating waves of anxiety and feelings of panic that seem to be free floating and have a life of their own. I know people say this but I mean it when I tell you, if I can overcome this terrible affliction and go on to lead an even better life than before, than anyone can. There was a time, I never thought this could be possible, but it is.

My wife who is still a witness has asked two elders to come round and see us both. I am so grateful to her for all the love and support she gives me.

If you are like I was, you are feeling very frightened and vulnerable and are probably overly grateful and more needy than you'd normally be if you were feeling more confident. Although your wife thinks highly of the Elders and believes they have some special "pull" with God, talking to them might not be the best thing for you if you're not in the right frame of mind. They are unlettered and ordinary men who may mean well but it is likely that they are clueless to the degree of your suffering. I remember the advice my Elders gave me was to read the book of Job and to be encouraged by how much endurance he showed when being tested by Satan. This was the worst thing for me an already anxious person, to read. At the time, the only hope I had was that somehow Jehovah would help me. Seeing how he allowed Job to suffer and how he allowed Satan to kill his family, was not a helpful thing to read when in the frantic frame of mind I was in.

The elders coming round is something I am not looking forward to; how do you speak your truth at a moment of frightening anxiety?

I'm guessing you won't really be speaking your truth, it likely will be an anxiety driven version of it. Part of being anxious is having diffused thoughts and drawing irrational conclusions that although based in fact, are skewed and amplified out of proportion.

I don't want to add another problem in my life but this scenario of me leaving the jw's for 13 years while my wife continues is at the core of so much of my inner pain.

I'm not sure what your circumstances are but for me, a decade long problem with terrible anxiety, where I tried every therapy imaginable, disappeared in about a week once I stopped going to those @%$# meetings. Looking back, I realize that my subconscious was telling me that something needed to be changed. I stubbornly refused to listen so it eventually shut me down and demanded that I listen. I was like a man with a parachute strapped to my back waiting to jump out of a burning airplane. Rather than doing what I needed to do, I stubbornly refused to leap and in doing so, caused myself more suffering that if I'd have jumped immediately.

I don't want to crush another persons faith as to wake up is itself very painful. I am so stuck and really don't know how to live anymore.

I know you believe this to be so but that's the anxiety talking. You aren't responsible for someone else's faith nor do you have that kind of power over them. The world and life in general hasn't changed nor have you suddenly forgotten how to live. You are every bit as capable and as brave as you've ever been. It has taken courage and strength to live with the terrible feelings you've been living with but this anxiety has temporarily robbed you of your confidence for the moment but it will return and you will be stronger than ever before, when it does.

For now, you are responsible for living one day at a time and figuring out what this anxiety is all about. It's my guess that on some level you know what's at the root of it but you are resisting taking the necessary steps it will take to put your subconscious at ease. Taking care of this problem will be the most loving thing you can do for yourself and your wife. Taking the necessary steps you need to take, will be much easier to deal with than this ongoing anxiety. Once you take action (even the smallest step) relief isn't far behind.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MR HAPPY:

I wouldn’t submit to a meeting with anybody if I didn’t want to. (The important word being ‘submit’.) I wouldn’t be cornered in my own home.

I also wouldn’t think it’s a great idea to have the elders seeing me in such a vulnerable state that you describe.(they aren’t even professionals)....I’d tell my spouse that I was not interested in any meeting with anybody and would refuse to be there. If they were coming in, I’d be going out and I’d tell them to have a Nice Day.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

All the above, been there done that. Some elders popped in unannounced once and made me feel even smaller if that as possible, total lack of tact or know how. Yes on being untrained bus drivers and trinket salesmen. Shop around for the right therapist, one that you feel comfortable with, preferably another man. Balls out and chin up Mr. Happy tell them to f**k off !!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Remember you are in control, that is the key to managing anxiety. I was also in a somewhat similar situation. I kindly but firmly declined the visits. In my case they were "fact finding" missions. If you have not been disfellowshipped anything you say will be used to that end. I know how that sounds but it is true. In my case I hoped to avoid that outcome so as to take care of my aging parents. If you are in a similar spot, I'd speak kindly to your wife, tell her that you love her, but will not participate. She is welcome to have guests but you will not engage or be present. Go have a few frames of bowling and pizza. Come home with flowers.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Pete this was 2 years ago... The meet with the elders is done. I would be interested to find out how Mr Happy made it through the last couple of years.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi, I too have a wife who is a devout believer but we have a stable marrisge and I appreciate her very much. I, like you I suspect, make compromises and attend the odd meeting.

When talking to elders I have found it possible to raise questions about the faith while maintaining a belief still in God and Jesus. I repeat the comments of others not to openly challenge them , just ask questions or say you have difficulty in this or that teaching.

Now that the visit has been arranged, I would be welcoming and thank them for coming. In my experience they won't have very much to say......but your wife may enjoy the visit.

EDIT.. I just saw that this thread is 2 years old , which makes what I wrote a complete waste of time !

Still, somebody might like it ?..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit