"New Light never contradicts Old Light, but simply adds to it"

by stuckinarut2 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It's just like the English legal system, when a new precedent is set...

The law never changes ... only our 'understanding'of that law changes..

(Ahem..said in pompous stentorian tone)😜

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree that the first reaction of JW's to Russell's words will be as said above, they themselves are "old light".

But if we can, why not try to get JW's to see the correctness of his argument., even if it was made in 1881.

The next bit of the quote that JWFacts provides above is :

" If you were lighting up a building containing seven gas jets you would not extinguish one every time you lighted another, but would add one light to another and they would be in harmony and thus give increase of light: So is it with the light of truth; the true increase is by adding to, not by substituting one for another.'

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    My metaphor in response to the JW "The light gets brighter and brighter" is to say that their teachings are more like light bulbs which burn out and have to be replaced by men.
  • FadingTruth
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sadly, old Chuck Taze was not authorized to make decrees. He was just a zealous bible student, not part of the FDS collective.

Have you forgotten about this?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/267807/jj-abrams-wtbts

DD

• Splash
    Splash
    My metaphor is that JW new light is like being at a disco.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great article Fading Truth!

Thanks for posting that link!

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman
    To give them credit the Watchtower has corrected things it has published that were wrong in the past, so I don't think the quote from the 1881 Watchtower is what the modern organization follows.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Mad Irishman,

They know they are telling the truth because they have to keep correcting themselves. As they say:

“Some have called Jehovah’s witnesses ‘false prophets’ because, in times past, they have viewed things a certain way and, later, have made a change through their official publications. Or, there may have been practices by some members in the organization that have been permitted to continue for a time for lack of knowledge as to how to handle these things, but later they have learned from God’s Word what his will is and have gone ahead and made the necessary corrections. False prophets do not correct themselves” (The Watchtower, June 1, 1967, page 331)

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Whether they express themselve explicitly about "new light" or not, the proof is in their actions right to the present day.

Will they get "new light" about "new light"?

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit