What's Your Opinion Of Charles Taze Russell?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The founder of tbe Watchtower has been said to be a good Christian man, "The Faithful Steward", a child molester, "The Laodecian Messenger", a fraud, and a number of other things. When you became a Witness, Charles Taze Russell might have been downplayed or exalted, depending upon who was talking about him. What is your opinion of the Society's first president???

• rocketman
    rocketman

He seemed a heck of a lot better than the second president.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Really, I think overall he may have been the best pres they had, minus his marital troubles and his propensity for odd stuff like Pyramidology.

• minimus
    minimus

I think Russell sort of went thru an evolution . First he was an earnest student of the Bible. Then he developed a following and that might have got the better of him and then he believed he was specifically used by God to lead his chosen people. He took himself very seriously, as did others of the "brethren". ......All I know is that had he not invented the "Watchtower", I would not have ever been a Jehovah's Witness.

• manon
    manon

Womanizer
    Adventist copycat
    Editor and chief
    Megalomanic

I find the Mrs. Russell a much more colorful and interesting personality. It was rumored that she was a practicing occultist and was a follower of Harry Hoodini expected his return after dying even participated in medium channeling sessions.

• minimus
    minimus

Manon, where did you hear those rumors???

• manon
    manon

These rumors are a part of JW legend and lore always plentiful in the Kingdom Hall. Also check out cftf. com and WATCHTOWERINFORMATIONSERVICE.ORG I found an article in 1 of these 2 sites that touch upon this subject matter.

• Francois
    Francois

Deluded Adventist whose desire to see the return of Jesus over-ran his common sense.

francois

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with Minimus that CT Russell experienced an evolution toward greater egoism and self-absorption.

It's like the old saying goes "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute powers tends to corrupt absolutely." CT Russell gained power, and naturally the bad things that go with power became part of his legacy.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i think he was a to$$er.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit